Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Comletely Dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comletely Dead

Yesterday during a drive I switched from the rear tank to the front tank while driving then back again when I realized the front tank was out of gas. (not sure if that's good or not) Shortly after that it started backfiring when I let off the accelerator. Then it seemed to misfire and took a few cranks to start. Also it has a small loss of power and the misfire is prevalent when I give it gas. It also smells like gas when running, maybe running rich.
Anyway, I found on this forum that the fuel pressure regulator can cause those issues. I ordered it and a fuel pump relay just because it looked a bit corroded. I disconnected the battery and when I hooked it back up there was power but it would not start. I thought the battery might be dead so I tried to jump it off. My stupid self wasn't paying attention and the other end of the jumper cables touched and it sparked quite a bit. Now there is no power to anything in the truck at all. Could it be that the fuseable link between the battery and the started relay is burnt out?
Any ideas would be very helpful.

Oh, and hi this is my second post other than the introduction.

UPDATE: I figured I would go out and try again. This time I wiggled the wire coming from the battery to the starter relay and then tried to start the truck. IT WORKED!!! Now hopefully between teh fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump relay that will fix my running issue.

Last edited by John Miller; 02-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.