Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Charger with 12v continuous

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charger with 12v continuous

Hey guys,

My battery charger has a 12v continuous setting. I didn't pay any attention to it until now when I need to change my battery and am thinking hmmm, can I hook it up while the battery is out? If so, what is the procedure for doing it? It's not the in manual. Do I unplug battery, attach red and black to red and black then plug in the charger on continuous mode? Battery is still disconnected for a minute or so in that case but I think it should keep the memory.

Anyone else have a charger with continuous source?

Thanks,

Matt M
Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 PM
has left the building

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Do you mind explaining why you would want to use your battery 'charger' as a power source?

Keep in mind there are different procedures for battery replacement based on the vehicle you have. You have not provided your vehicle information.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 PM

It's got a continuous voltage/current setting specifically for that. It's not just a charger. I would never think of doing it with just a charger, voltage spikes, electrical noise, etc, could wreak havoc.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:41 PM

from the manual
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 AM
has left the building

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Never mind. I thought you were asking if you could use your battery charger to connect to the leads in the vehicle while the battery was removed when you change it.

You are asking if you can charge the battery outside of the vehicle. Yes you can. Remove battery from vehicle. Connect battery to charger, black to black, red to red, and turn it on to allow it to charge.

I'm also confused about the 12v continuous option. but doesn't matter. I haven't heard of a battery charger that isn't continually charging when powered on.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:33 AM

No. I want to connect the truck to the 12 volts while I bring the battery in to swap for a new one.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:56 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Your pic is too small to read, even on a big monitor. If the truck is turned OFF, and the charger is VERY good, then it would be OK. But the charger is probably NOT regulated well enough to use that way. Drive the truck to where the new battery is; swap them there; drive home. If you want to keep the memories in the truck, use a jumper battery or a memory saver device.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:20 AM

I can read it on my phone.

The charger has a special mode that supplies a steady 12v with up to 5 amps specifically to use when swapping the battery. The volts and current in that mode are regulated, no spikes or current starving like you'd get if you hooked up a charger.

What I'm asking is has anyone connected a regulated power source to the truck to keep it powered while battery swapping and if so what are the steps? Disconnect battery then quickly connect power source within a minute, will a minute without power reset anything?
Old 09-11-2020, 10:29 AM

According to the manual after putting in the battery the truck has to sit for 8 hours, uninterrupted, with no power use to learn. Hence no swapping at the dealer then driving home after.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:47 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There is zero reason to do what you propose. Drive to wherever. Change battery. Drive home. Lock truck and let sit for 8 hours. Done.

Quick Reply: Charger with 12v continuous