Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cargo Lamp Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cargo Lamp Leakage

I have an f150 Lariat Super Crew and after a heavy rainfall last night and not parking in the driveway, I started her up this morning. When I backed up, water started pouring in the back window as if the seam holding the window on was leaking. I immediately drove to the dealership where they said the harness on the cargo lamp had caused this and that several other f150's had been brought in with the same issue. I asked if it was a recall item that maybe I had missed and was told "No". Well, my common-sense tells me that when several people, driving the same make & model vehicle have the exact same problem, there is a pattern and is this not what establishes a recall?

If my one local dealership has had several come in with this problem, I am thinking that there may be many more nationwide.

Has anyone here had this problem?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not just your's. A lot of them have had this, even the 05's and 06's to. Here is the tsb for it.

TSB
04-20-5
  • WATER LEAK FROM HIGH MOUNT STOP LAMP
Publication Date: October 1, 2004
FORD:
2004 F-150

ISSUE:

Some 2004 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a water leak from the high mount stop lamp. The leak may be described as a water leak at the headliner, the back glass, wet seat covers and/or carpeting.
ACTION:

Verify water is entering through the high mount stop lamp assembly. Replace the high mount stop lamp assembly as needed. Refer to the following verification procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

LEAK VERIFICATION
  1. Turn the fan motor (climate control motor) on high, in the non-recirculating mode.
  2. Close all windows and doors.
  3. Spray a soapy water solution on the outside of the high mount lamp housing. If bubbles form around the lamp housing, replace the assembly.
PART NUMBERPART NAME5L3Z-13A613-AAHigh Mount Lamp Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME042005AReplace The High Mount Stop Lamp (Includes Time To Diagnose With The Climate Control Fan On High Non-Recirculating, And Soapy Water To Determine The High Mount Stop Lamp Is The Source Of The Leak)0.3 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE13A61334
Old 01-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Whitecrystal, youre the man! Do you work at a Ford Garage or something? You seem to have good access to all those service bulletins!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM

I recently had a problem with this also. I first went and my rear window inspected at a window repair company. I was told they couldn't find anything, so I took it to the ford house (dealership), and was told that they have had "numerous" F150s with this same problem. Then cahrged me way to much to fix it.

Quick Reply: Cargo Lamp Leakage