Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Camshaft phaser going? :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft phaser going? :(

2007 FX4 5.4L F-150

Here is a video showing the sounds im getting. How much money is this going to take to get fixed? I wouldnt be able to do it myself.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

I don't think you have a problem. Mine sounds worse than that by several decibels and it has all of its 204,000+ mile life.

I do not know exactly what causes the distinct 5.4 sound, and you will only get dozens of different (confusing) theories from the internet. But I personally think fuel injectors are responsible for lots of it. Mine also has a distinct "tappit" sound similar to my high school vehicle (1956 Ford 312) with mechanical lifters. I think its a stuck lash adjuster - and I think they are responsible for lots of noise complaints about the 5.4. The Phasers have a hydrolically operated locking pin that locks them in the default advanced position in Engine Off condition or when idling at low oil pressure (psi unknown - perhaps 10-20psi). I know they sometime shear off and sometimes get sloppy from wear, and that is responsible for some of the "quote - phaser" noise and definitely a CEL.

I notice your video focuses on the passenger side. I don't know why that side is almost ALWAYS nosier. Perhaps less stuff covering the valve cover and/or the plastic oil filler transmits the sound better. Or perhaps oil supply to the Bank 1 Phaser (from the back of the head) is less efficient than Bank 2 (from the front of the head). Stick a two foot piece of 5/8 heater hose in the oil filler pipe and put it to your ear. You'll *@#$)%*#!!! It sounds like a freight train in there.
But if there are no codes, drivability issues or symptoms other than the noise, why does everybody get so excited about it? Can't tell you how many posts I've read about people changing phasers / chains / everything without even having DTCs, only to find the noise still there or return shortly.

By the sound of your video, I don't think you have a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by F150Torqued:
LunarKiller (10-01-2015), shadow88 (06-09-2015)

Quick Reply: Camshaft phaser going? :(