Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Broken CV Driveshaft Stud

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broken CV Driveshaft Stud

2004 F150 FX4

Ball joints were bad, so I replaced the upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, front stabilizer bar end links (all Moog parts) and installed new KYB shocks on all four corners. Hubs and CV driveshafts looked good, so I left them stock.

In order to get some tips and the torque requirements, I purchased a book from the local auto parts store. When finishing up, the book said to torque the CV driveshaft nut to 144 lb-ft. Needless to say, I snapped it off.

I believe the CV driveshaft is in compression all the time. So, do I need to worry about it? I also thought of welding the nut onto the end that is left (knowing I would have to grind it off later if I needed to work on it.

Let me know. My concern is that if I put it in 4WD it may be too loose in the hub and trash the hub too. Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Are you talking about the big nut in the center of the wheel or one of the nuts that hold the axle to the diff?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Are you talking about the big nut in the center of the wheel or one of the nuts that hold the axle to the diff?
I am talking about the small nut on the end of the CV driveshaft as shown in the picture below.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah dude thats not good. Thats the axle nut not the cv joint nuts. Those are on the other end. You need to replace the cv axle. Do not drive it until you do. When you tighten that you sre only supposed to tighten it until the bearing is seated. With 145 lbs of torque you would burn ip the hub in a heartbeat. I just spent a couple of hours trying to get mine off because it was stripped.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM

What are the torque specs for this nut?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to resurrect this, but after putting coilovers on I found that the last shop to work on my truck broke this nut off as well.. ive been driving it like this for about 10k miles.. never had an issue.. oh and the shop is out of business..
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Flyin' F150

Torque on the axle nut is only 20lbs-ft.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:27 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Bumping this thread, I think the shop that installed my bilstiens over torqued that nut that holds the axle shaft in place. I know for the 04-08 truck's it was a substantial amount then for the 09-14 trucks they used a smaller nut. Does anyone know the exact number? I remember seeing something stupid low like 12-15 ft-lbs. can anyone verify this?

Also, can someone list the proper torque method?

Quick Reply: Broken CV Driveshaft Stud