Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake Job Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake Job Problems!

I'm in the middle of doing a brake job on my 2001 F150 w/ 117,000 miles. I removed my all 4 of my calipers and rotors. I cleaned the calipers and painted them and then installed new Wagner Thremoquiet brake pads and Wearever brake rotors all the way around. Then I went to bleed the whole system but for the some reason the pedal was incredibley spongey and would go all the way to the floor. So I replaced my master cylinder and followed the right steps to bench bleed it before installing. Still had a spongey pedal and a hissing type noise coming from that area so I replaced the brake booster and STILL have the same issue. I'm not sure where to go next. Caliper rebuilds? New hoses? any insight would help. I replaced 2 leaky bleeders and they still are leaking, would the caliper rebuild fix this or is a new caliper in line?
Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Default hmm

Originally Posted by 4.2
I'm in the middle of doing a brake job on my 2001 F150 w/ 117,000 miles. I removed my all 4 of my calipers and rotors. I cleaned the calipers and painted them and then installed new Wagner Thremoquiet brake pads and Wearever brake rotors all the way around. Then I went to bleed the whole system but for the some reason the pedal was incredibley spongey and would go all the way to the floor. So I replaced my master cylinder and followed the right steps to bench bleed it before installing. Still had a spongey pedal and a hissing type noise coming from that area so I replaced the brake booster and STILL have the same issue. I'm not sure where to go next. Caliper rebuilds? New hoses? any insight would help. I replaced 2 leaky bleeders and they still are leaking, would the caliper rebuild fix this or is a new caliper in line?
Thanks in advance guys!

well... if it was me, i'm not shy on calipers.

i wouldn't risk a sticky caliper... when im going to do a brake job, it's pads, rotors, and calipers... never leave one out.

Quick Reply: Brake Job Problems!