Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Best catalogs to order

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best catalogs to order

I just got my first F150, a 2000 Lariat 4x4 with what looks like maybe a 3 inch lift. It was a Connecticut truck and also spent some time in Kentucky, so let's just say if iron oxide was a precious metal, I could triple my investment. I was taking a good long glance at the undercarriage this afternoon and could see that Some of the rubber pieces have some rot, and most of the bolts and bits may very well be fused. If I were to need to replace all of the suspension parts, how much do you guys think that might cost?

I'm actually going to take it to a shop to have a guy lift it and take a look to make sure nothing is in danger of braking, but I drove it 2 hours home from where I bought it and it didn't have the slightest wiggle and didn't sound creaky or crunchy, so hopefully most of the rust is on the surface. I mean the rockers are, um,well there's just enough left of them to add some excitement while getting in and out of the truck (Let's play,"Who's Going to Get A Tetanus Shot Today?").

What is the best way to prevent what is bad from getting any worse? The body is in good shape, the motor and trans seem very strong( only 128K miles) and the paint is in pretty good shape as well. The rust is my only concern.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Sand rust off and powdercoat. If the body has holes get patch panels (lmc)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hunttman01
Sand rust off and powdercoat. If the body has holes get patch panels (lmc)
Wow, I completely forgot what the title I gave this post was when I typed it up.
Being new to truckdom, does anyone have a favorite vendor or catalog that they prefer to order parts from?

Thanks for the suggestion about pc-ing the parts,Hunttman. I hadn't really thought of doing that. Now that you suggested it, and since I know nothing of the process(s), I have a couple of questions about that:

First of all, how would one go about sanding the rust off the parts and what are the best tools for that?

Second, how much would it cost to pc a complete suspension and drive line(basically, everything between the rails except for the trans and pans)? I would love to have it done since I would be able to color match certain components for eye candy. In my head, however, it just seems like it would be just as, or more, labor intensive and time consuming(the sanding part) as well as costly to do that, than just replacing the system. I mean, to do it properly, wouldn't the whole shabang need to be disassembled to sand and coat each piece,anyway? Would it be worth the time just to spray paint the pieces myself, as a cheaper alternative to PC? Should I post pics so you have a better understanding of how extensive the surface rust is under there?

As far as the body goes, the rockers will have to be replaced. No doubt about that, and I have seen a couple of good youtube videos on how to do that, but I have 0 tools for this, and minimal time. I would love to say I am a do- it- my selfer, and maybe, one day, when I grow up, I will be. For now, though, unless I can get away with a quick that kind of work is going to have to be farmed out. I'm just trying to get an idea of the best way to go if the rust is as extensive as I hope it is not.

Last edited by crackerbear; 09-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbear
Wow, I completely forgot what the title I gave this post was when I typed it up.
Being new to truckdom, does anyone have a favorite vendor or catalog that they prefer to order parts from?

Thanks for the suggestion about pc-ing the parts,Hunttman. I hadn't really thought of doing that. Now that you suggested it, and since I know nothing of the process(s), I have a couple of questions about that:

First of all, how would one go about sanding the rust off the parts and what are the best tools for that?

Second, how much would it cost to pc a complete suspension and drive line(basically, everything between the rails except for the trans and pans)? I would love to have it done since I would be able to color match certain components for eye candy. In my head, however, it just seems like it would be just as, or more, labor intensive and time consuming(the sanding part) as well as costly to do that, than just replacing the system. I mean, to do it properly, wouldn't the whole shabang need to be disassembled to sand and coat each piece,anyway? Would it be worth the time just to spray paint the pieces myself, as a cheaper alternative to PC? Should I post pics so you have a better understanding of how extensive the surface rust is under there?

As far as the body goes, the rockers will have to be replaced. No doubt about that, and I have seen a couple of good youtube videos on how to do that, but I have 0 tools for this, and minimal time. I would love to say I am a do- it- my selfer, and maybe, one day, when I grow up, I will be. For now, though, unless I can get away with a quick that kind of work is going to have to be farmed out. I'm just trying to get an idea of the best way to go if the rust is as extensive as I hope it is not.
I don't know much about the powder coat stuff as I've never done it but a few members here have. If you order the lmc catalog they sell patch panels which can be welded in place of the rusted out/damaged panels.
The following users liked this post:
crackerbear (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Thanks, Hunttman01 for the suggestion. Does anyone else have any opinions or suggestions. I'm open to all suggestions, opinions, criticism or praise. I just want to be loved, is that so wrong?

Quick Reply: Best catalogs to order