Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Alarm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Problems

Hi all,
I have a 2010 F-150 XLT... it's paid for and has about 90K on it. It's starting to rust out and looks kinda ratty, but like I said... it's paid for, so I'd like to keep it. In the last week the theft alarm has been randomly activating. Unlocking the doors shuts it off. Today I noticed that as I was driving, the interior lights would randomly come on and go off by themselves. I don't think it's one of the door switches because the "Door Ajar" caution does not come on when the interior lights do. So, although I believe the lights and alarm are related, I think the problem is somewhere downstream of the door switches and not the switch itself, otherwise the Door Ajar warning would come on. Anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Does anyone know how to permanently disable the alarm system? As I said, it's pretty ratty and I'm not concerned with it being stolen, but I'd still like to be able to lock the doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just so you know, I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and well versed in electrical systems, so I'm up to speed in the dark arts of meters and such.
Thanks,
Jim.

Last edited by JimD54; 10-01-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Aftermarket or OEM alarm?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 PM

As far as I know it's OEM. Uses the factory key fob and has the red lock symbol built into the dash warning lights. The lock symbol comes on when you turn the key on and goes out a few seconds later.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Could go looking with flashlight for pinched, damaged, or corroded wiring...... clean and reconnect all visible grounds etc. It's likely either wiring or a module.

If that yields nothing then I'd pay up for the Ford wiring diagrams. Then you can proceed with certainty.

I am aware of no "widespread" electrical issue with your vehicle that could cause your symptoms.

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
Could go looking with flashlight for pinched, damaged, or corroded wiring...... clean and reconnect all visible grounds etc. It's likely either wiring or a module.

If that yields nothing then I'd pay up for the Ford wiring diagrams. Then you can proceed with certainty.

I am aware of no "widespread" electrical issue with your vehicle that could cause your symptoms.

Good Luck!
Yeah, that's probably how I'll proceed. Are the diagrams available on this site?
Thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimD54
Yeah, that's probably how I'll proceed. Are the diagrams available on this site?
Thanks.
NO!

Some kind folks sometimes will post images taken from their paid for copies.

Ford, and all other makers, charge $ for access to service and repair manuals.

This is what I had in mind:
​​​​​​https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing/7

You can printout what you need. ....72hr access. There are maybe 10,000 pages for every model yr.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
NO!

Some kind folks sometimes will post images taken from their paid for copies.

Ford, and all other makers, charge $ for access to service and repair manuals.

This is what I had in mind:
​​​​​​https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing/7

You can printout what you need. ....72hr access. There are maybe 10,000 pages for every model yr.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Alarm Problems