Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Airbag deployment

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag deployment

Hey guys. Recently bought a slightly wrecked 2017 screw 3.5 eb xlt. The seat and side curtain airbags were deployed. I have the Ford airbags to replace the blown ones as well as the seatbelts. I'm taking the airbag module out to have it reset but I was wondering if there was anything else that needed to be replaced? Crash sensors or anything like that? I read somewhere it's all contained in the airbag module under the console now but I want to make sure.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Crash sensors need replacing, they are in the doors, on which ever side has the blown airbags.
The following users liked this post:
voodoozero (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by RL1990
Seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters.
I have new seatbelts. Is there something that I should replace other than the seatbelt? As in, is this some part that is seperate from the new seatbelt?

Last edited by voodoozero; 04-02-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoozero
I have new seatbelts. Is there something that I should replace other than the seatbelt? As in, is this some part that is seperate from the new seatbelt?
The end release buckle assembly has the pyrotechnic pre-tensioners built into them or they use to be, if you have those your covered. I think you will also need a new SRS module and it needs to be programmed to the truck, you can do that your self with Forscan.

Last edited by RLXXI; 04-02-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The end release buckle assembly has the pyrotechnic pre-tensioners built into them or they use to be, if you have those your covered. I think you will also need a new SRS module and it needs to be programmed to the truck, you can do that your self with Forscan.
I'm sorry to take so long between messages. Thanks for the info, I'll check the new seatbelts out and make sure.

I'm not sure if you know this but the way I understand the crash sensors and whatnot they don't need to be replaced since they're just accelerometers? They weren't damaged in the wreck so far as I can know. If the airbag light goes off then everything should be ok right? I was told they should be good unless they were damaged somehow.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoozero
I'm sorry to take so long between messages. Thanks for the info, I'll check the new seatbelts out and make sure.

I'm not sure if you know this but the way I understand the crash sensors and whatnot they don't need to be replaced since they're just accelerometers? They weren't damaged in the wreck so far as I can know. If the airbag light goes off then everything should be ok right? I was told they should be good unless they were damaged somehow.
Yeah as long as there are no physical marks on them they can be reused, all except the primary and safing sensor, those are both inside the SRS module and cannot be reset.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Yeah as long as there are no physical marks on them they can be reused, all except the primary and safing sensor, those are both inside the SRS module and cannot be reset.
Are you talking about the srs module under the console? The restraint control module? If so, what do the guys do to reset them (a la ebay resets)? Should I reset it or just buy a new one and have it programmed? I'm not against spending the money to have it right but would rather not waste money that I don't need to.

The new seat belts came with two charges (I guess that's what the cylinder that gets the plug is called). One for the shoulder belt spool and one for the lap belt. The new belt replaced the whole assembly.

Thanks for the info by the way.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

I highly recommend having the truck repaired by a qualified shop using Ford OEM parts. You are talking about the primary safety systems, air bags and seat belts. This is not some DIY project you should do at home or with parts bought off EBay. The module needs to be replaced not reset (if that is even possible).

Quick Reply: Airbag deployment