Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Abnormal Overhead Outside Temp fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Abnormal Overhead Outside Temp fix

How many of you are dealing with your outside temperature being wrong or innacurate? Mine read like this.

After dealing with this problem for over a year and not willing to pay the delear $400 to fix the problem. I decided to try and fix this myself.
I was out at the salvage yard one day getting parts for my jeep. When i stumble across an 01 F150 just like mine which was totalled. I decided i was going to look in the inside and see if it had the console like mine. The interior was pretty much picked thru. But it still had the overhead console and the screen there. So i decide to pull it off and trace the wires. This took me about 2 hours to do but i managed to find it. I jotted down notes for what i would need to do when i got home. While i had it all apart i took the parts i needed. Thinking it could be one of 2 things if not i had other problems. I took the sensor that was located at the front of the truck and i took the circuit board for the display.

So when i got home i decided to tackle this project and get it fixed. Once you start it will take a total of 30 minutes. So i have done all the hard work for you. Make sure you disconnect your battery terminal as you are working with electrical items and dont want to short anything out.

1. You will need the following tools: a flat head screwdriver, a philips head screwdriver, 2 crescent wrenches and a socket set.

2. The next step is to take of the front cover off, which covers your hood latch. It is plastic and is held in place with 8 plastic screws.

3.Once you have this off you should see your sensor for you outside ambient air temparature. It looks like this:

4. Now use an 8mm socket and take it off the frame. Then you will use the screwdriver and your fingernail and gently remove the harness from the sensor. Once you have it disconnected take your 2 crescent wrenches and take it off the bracket.

5. Now take your new sensor and connect it back to the bracket and plug in your sensor wire harnees and screw back to the frame.

6. Now put your plastic cover back on. Secure it with the plastic washer and screws.

7. Reconnect your positive battery terminal. Get inside your truck and turn the key on and you should have a new reading for your outside temp gauge on your overhead console.

Now i have the correct reading and am happy that i saved some big $$$$. If you recall i took the circuit board as well. It turns out mine was still good as well as the one i got from salvage. So if anybody needs a new circuit board. Because theres is completely out. Let me know and i will sell you this one for how much i paid for it. I am sure you dont want to pay how much the dealer is asking.

I hope this helps those of you who are having problems with your temperature reading. If you were to buy the sensor from an auto part store it would run between 25-30 dollars. I guess i got lucky and got a good one at the salvage yard. I also verified mine with my expedition that i have and got the same temperature reading in both vehicles. Good luck to who ever tries this. So let me know if it works for you and if maybe you or someone you know needs the circuit board. It looks like this and goes in the console. 5 minutes to pull out and replace.

The following users liked this post:
ketron47 (02-24-2014)
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you still have that display i am looking for one. Mine acts very funny by turning on for a few seconds and fades away. I am thinking that it may be the display. my e-mail is bigfoot9683@hotmail.com
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice post bud, always wondered where the sensor was.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM

I'm new to this site and I was just going to ask the same question. I just bought a 02 and it reads the same 140. I will get a sensor and let you know if it works. THANKS so much for the detailed pics
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 PM

I got one today out of a Explorer at a junk yard. Temp was the same at the Bank so I guess that fixed the problem. Local Ford dealer wanted almost $70 bucks for it and I got mine for $20. THANKS AGAIN
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Good Job, great pics, Mine has been turned off for 3 years now. But after this off to the junkyard I go. Thanks again. let you know how mine works out!

Quick Reply: Abnormal Overhead Outside Temp fix