Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

98 w/ trouble getting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 w/ trouble getting into gear

hey everyone. ive been lurking here for a while and finally had a reason to post.

I have a 98 F150 with 118K, ive owned it about a year. some time last week i was driving to work using my cruise control. when i car cut in front of me i stepped on the brake and the cruise control did not turn off! its done this numerous times since then.

then a couple days ago I started having trouble getting the truck into gear from Park. I'd have to step on the brake a few times and finally after a few tries it would go into gear. I was gonna have it looked at some time this week, but i just tried leaving the house and now i cant get it into gear at all.

does anyone have any ideas on where to start or what to do. Im thinking it has something to do with the brake sensor, or possibly something in the stearing column.

any info and help would be greatly appreciated.
-Derek-
Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ford had a recall on the cruise control for the 97/98 trucks, take it in to your ford garage and they will be able to tell you if it has been taken care of already, or not.

and a neutral safety switch.

Last edited by Ty; 03-25-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Replace the brake light switch.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna try calling ford or a local shop tomorrow. unfortunatly, im new to the truck world so i dont know much about my ford. I commute to work everyday and cant afford to fiddle around trying to fix it myself. if it broke on a thur. or fri. and i knew i had all weekend to try, i def would.

i gotta get this thing fixed with the quickness.

Quick Reply: 98 w/ trouble getting into gear