Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

5000 mile service on new(ish) truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5000 mile service on new(ish) truck?

Hi -

I bought a 2017 XLT 3.5EB, and I recently got an email from my dealer telling me that it's time for the "recommended service" "5000 mile maintenance". (I am in fact just about at 6000 miles).

As far as I can figure out from my owners manual, the service interval for normal conditions (my case) is 7500-10000 miles, and naively my assumption was that I should just wait for the oil change message and go in then and have the service done. But of course I want to remain compliant to keep the warranty.

So, is the dealer just trying to drum up a little bit of extra business or should I in fact take it in for a service?

And while I'm asking dumb questions anyway: I assume I can have the service done by someone other than a Ford dealer (the nearest dealer is about an hour away). What documentation should I make sure they provide?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, I only buy a new car every 10-15 years).

Last edited by Brian Glendenning; 07-11-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

If you change your oil according the the IOLM you will be in full compliance with the warranty.

The dealer is just drumming up extra business.

Many people choose to change it a their own interval and you will find vastly differing feelings on when to change it.

If you search oil change you'll probably find thousands of threads and as many opinions.