Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4x4 wont engage..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 wont engage..HELP!

2006 f150...4x4 wont engage...changed 4 wd solenoid...changed right side 4x4 actuator and still no 4x4...any ideas where to look next? 4x4 light comes on when i shift it but nothing..a little history...a few weeks ago we had subzero temps here in Ma. for a while... when taking off in the morning I was hearing like a grinding sound from wheel like the hubs were trying to halfass lock in but I wasnt trying to go into 4 wd...to make the noise stop I would shift into 4 wd and the sound would stop...take it out and it would come back...do it a few times and it would stop altogether... now I cant get it to do anything.. the reason I changed an actuator was because when I jacked up front end with truck running and in 2wd I would spin the tire and the axle would spin( indicating a locked hub..vacuum leak???) I was told... so I changed it out and all is normal in that respect...thought I fixed my problem...but still no 4x4...where do I look next...any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Mike
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

If one of the wheel actuators is bad the other can engage but you won't get 4 wheel drive. True 4 wheel drive requires an aftermarket locker. Our trucks really only have front wheel driving (4x4) until one wheel leaves the ground. At that point the other wheel stops working. Similar to the limited slip in the rear end. Your issue is in the hubs , on one side or the other, if the front drive shaft is moving/engaged at the T-case when in 4x4. Good luck
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Question

ttt
Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

is the transfer case shift motor working..locking the front driveshaft....the iwe's may work locking hubs to the shafts...
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 wont engage..HELP!-tcshiftmotor.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM

I dont have the switch for 4x4 I have the lever therefore no transfer case motor

Quick Reply: 4x4 wont engage..HELP!