4x4 problems. Please help! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 problems. Please help!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Default 4x4 problems. Please help!

I have a 2005 F150 FX4 with a 5.4. When I switch it into four-wheel-drive there is a grinding noise coming from the hubs. It is not a terrible clunking nasty grinding, it sounds more like a kid with a card on his bike spokes . It's more of a heavy ticking sound, but it's not in four wheel drive. If I leave it switched into four-wheel-drive and shut the motor off and turn the motor back on it will then be in four-wheel-drive and stay there. There seems to be no issues with it coming out of four-wheel-drive when I switch it back out. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be any help would be appreciated . Thank you.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by neub7 View Post
I have a 2005 F150 FX4 with a 5.4. When I switch it into four-wheel-drive there is a grinding noise coming from the hubs. It is not a terrible clunking nasty grinding, it sounds more like a kid with a card on his bike spokes . It's more of a heavy ticking sound, but it's not in four wheel drive. If I leave it switched into four-wheel-drive and shut the motor off and turn the motor back on it will then be in four-wheel-drive and stay there. There seems to be no issues with it coming out of four-wheel-drive when I switch it back out. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be any help would be appreciated . Thank you.
sounds like the IWEs are only partially locking in
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
sounds like the IWEs are only partially locking in
same here. could be vacuum solenoid causing that
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Thanks .I'm going to replace the solenoid tonight, if that doesn't work I guess I'll replace the actuators next. I appreciate the feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 problems. Please help!

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: