Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2016 wheel bearing and dealer repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 wheel bearing and dealer repair

I have a 2016 super cab 4x4 with 2.7 eco boost. At 37k miles I started hearing a grinding noise that I thought was a wheel bearing going out. It was really strange to have a bearing go that early so I took it to the dealership for diagnosing. After having the truck for one hour they asked if I could come take a ride with the technician and show him what was going on. So I did and during the ride the technician kept saying it was wind noise. I told him it was no way wind noise because the grinding noise would come and go as you steer the truck to the right and left. So after what felt like I had to talk them into checking the wheel bearing, they called me two hours later saying it was the bearing and they replace the right front hub assembly.

fast forward ten days later as I was turning into a parking lot I heard a bang come from the right front. That made me nervous since they just did work on it. So after getting home I decided to jack the trucks right front to see if I could see anything obvious. So as I jacked the truck the tire just stayed on the floor and that’s when I saw the upper control arm and ball joint bolt not even attached to the wheel assembly. I could not believe what I was seeing. I thought to myself how I could have wrecked the truck if I had hit a Big enough bump. So I called the dealer to tell them I was having the truck towed back to them.

So im wondering how I should handle this with the dealer. I can see them just throwing the bolt on saying it ready. I don’t know if I trust them to even work on it anymore. I also forgot to mention that the lugs were only hand tight.

has anyone ever contacted Ford corporate to complain about a service department? I will see what the dealership has to say but I think they should replace the upper control arm at least.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Chances are high the steering knuckle is also damaged. I'd have them replace both the ball joint and the knuckle and call it a day. Ford corporate can't do jack S to the dealer as dealers are independent shops just like any other. The dealer should offer free oil changes or washes for a year at the very least AFTER they replace those parts.

You're damn lucky you didn't have a wreck.

Last edited by RLXXI; 04-14-2019 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
77Ranger460 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

The serious lack of mechanical telent at dealerships scares me.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 AM

Received 496 Likes on 430 Posts

I would atleast get their service manager involved.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:40 PM
DJ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ....

Originally Posted by armybosn
I have a 2016 super cab 4x4 with 2.7 eco boost. At 37k miles I started hearing a grinding noise that I thought was a wheel bearing going out. It was really strange to have a bearing go that early so I took it to the dealership for diagnosing. After having the truck for one hour they asked if I could come take a ride with the technician and show him what was going on. So I did and during the ride the technician kept saying it was wind noise. I told him it was no way wind noise because the grinding noise would come and go as you steer the truck to the right and left. So after what felt like I had to talk them into checking the wheel bearing, they called me two hours later saying it was the bearing and they replace the right front hub assembly.

fast forward ten days later as I was turning into a parking lot I heard a bang come from the right front. That made me nervous since they just did work on it. So after getting home I decided to jack the trucks right front to see if I could see anything obvious. So as I jacked the truck the tire just stayed on the floor and that’s when I saw the upper control arm and ball joint bolt not even attached to the wheel assembly. I could not believe what I was seeing. I thought to myself how I could have wrecked the truck if I had hit a Big enough bump. So I called the dealer to tell them I was having the truck towed back to them.

So im wondering how I should handle this with the dealer. I can see them just throwing the bolt on saying it ready. I don’t know if I trust them to even work on it anymore. I also forgot to mention that the lugs were only hand tight.

has anyone ever contacted Ford corporate to complain about a service department? I will see what the dealership has to say but I think they should replace the upper control arm at least.

youve got be kidding me....thats a shame. Imagine you were on the highway, glad you’re ok. Post an uodate, good luck man....

Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Can't-Drive-55
youve got be kidding me....thats a shame. Imagine you were on the highway, glad you’re ok. Post an uodate, good luck man....
It's been over a year and the OP didn't post an update.

Quick Reply: 2016 wheel bearing and dealer repair