Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost shuddering problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost shuddering problems

I’m new to this forum well any forums to be exact but i have any issue with my 15’ Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost platinum 4X4 5.5’ bed 128K miles. Ive done a lot of research but cannot find a solution to my problem

The Problem:
The truck shudders ( feels like going over rivets on the road) at random when going speeds at 55+mph. You mainly feel it in the rear of the truck not in the front. The truck throws zero codes, spark plugs are brand new since that was a solution on other forums. The tires are not out of balance. The truck runs smoothly all the time besides when the shudder kicks in at random.

hopefully others have had the same problem and have found solutions
im hoping so solve this quickly since i have a lift kit and tires waiting to be installed
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd install the new tires and lift to rule out those pieces.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 AM

I thought about that but my only issue with that was I don’t want it to amplify the problem and cause some sort of damage but at the same time if it amplifies the issue it could also help me find the issue!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems like you'd be able to tell if it was the drive train by the feel of the vibration during acceleration.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:25 PM
newb

Had a similar problem but only when accelerating hard to 55-70mph from an on ramp. It took a few instances of it happening before I finally got a check engine light and code. For me it was the 5th coil causing misfires. Immediately had the code read at autozone and replaced the coil and my problem was resolved. The misfires do feel a bit like some kind of road vibration in my case.

I once had a 4 cylinder lose 2 cylinders and that does not feel like road vibration!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
I'd install the new tires and lift to rule out those pieces.
Originally Posted by Batrez
I thought about that but my only issue with that was I don’t want it to amplify the problem and cause some sort of damage but at the same time if it amplifies the issue it could also help me find the issue!
I would just put the tires on, no lift and see how it goes. If your current set are close to being worn out they can still be bad balanced or not.

If there is no change I'd drain the rear diff and look for some shavings.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Batrez
I’m new to this forum well any forums to be exact but i have any issue with my 15’ Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost platinum 4X4 5.5’ bed 128K miles. Ive done a lot of research but cannot find a solution to my problem

The Problem:
The truck shudders ( feels like going over rivets on the road) at random when going speeds at 55+mph. You mainly feel it in the rear of the truck not in the front. The truck throws zero codes, spark plugs are brand new since that was a solution on other forums. The tires are not out of balance. The truck runs smoothly all the time besides when the shudder kicks in at random.

hopefully others have had the same problem and have found solutions
im hoping so solve this quickly since i have a lift kit and tires waiting to be installed
I have had this same issue as you describe to a T with a Jeep wrangler and it was the crankshaft position sensor. A simple change with a new one and its been fine for 2 years after fighting to find the issue for 2 years before that several shops and the dealer could not pin point the issue. For 10 - 15 dollars its worth a shot.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your diff oil and i would change the oil out and add new additive that reduces the clutch plate shudder to see if there's a change.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shuddering

Originally Posted by x106x
Had a similar problem but only when accelerating hard to 55-70mph from an on ramp. It took a few instances of it happening before I finally got a check engine light and code. For me it was the 5th coil causing misfires. Immediately had the code read at autozone and replaced the coil and my problem was resolved. The misfires do feel a bit like some kind of road vibration in my case.

I once had a 4 cylinder lose 2 cylinders and that does not feel like road vibration!
My 2013 had the same issue and it was the coil on cylinder #2. I did the same thing you did, as soon as the engine light came on I pulled into the nearest auto parts store and had the code ran. Changed the coil on #2 and BINGO, problem solved.

Quick Reply: 2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost shuddering problems