Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 F150 XL climate control lights draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 F150 XL climate control lights draining battery

I upgraded my stereo with the PAC audio installation kit over a year ago, had it professionally done and never had any problems. For some reason, and I don’t think it’s related to that, the backlight for my climate control lights are staying on when I get out of the truck and it’s draining my battery. Thought maybe it was a low battery indication, changed the battery and it’s still happening. I feel like it’s gotta be something I’m doing wrong. It has remote start installed too, but I can’t see that being an issue. Any ideas what I need to do to get those damn lights to shut off when I get out of the car. And yes, I’ve got the headlights off.....
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Update

Ford was convinced my heater control module was bad but would not replace it with my set up. Paid to have them put an OEM Radio and dash kit back into the truck. Now all the lights around the radio come on when the key is in the ignition but turn off when I start the truck. Radio works but lights around it do not. Almost as if the problem is in the ignition? Also my remote start I had installed no longer is working....any ideas?!?!?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by KevinGwin
Ford was convinced my heater control module was bad but would not replace it with my set up. Paid to have them put an OEM Radio and dash kit back into the truck. Now all the lights around the radio come on when the key is in the ignition but turn off when I start the truck. Radio works but lights around it do not. Almost as if the problem is in the ignition? Also my remote start I had installed no longer is working....any ideas?!?!?
I had the same issue with mine. I too at first thought I had a dead battery, and replaced it with new.. but the new would die after a day.. Got a better brand, but still only can go 2 days.. Then I noticed the climate control lights staying on. I removed the PAC module and switched to maestro since they finally released a harness, and it gives nifty guage info to the radio for display., I kept the PAC modified bezel with the old radio controls removed. Those climate lights still stay on and kill my battery. It happened with the PAC module, and the Maestro. I even put the factory bezel/radio in for a few weeks to no avail.

I also have after market remote start, but I can unplug and disable that (ODB module) and the issue still persists..

I checked to be sure it wasn’t the park interlock switch that plagued earlier models, but that would show up in the instrument cluster if it was not working right.

Oddly, there are occasions with opening doors and closing them, that the lights will not stick on, but I can’t duplicate the how or when they will stick on.

I ended up putting a kill switch on the battery for when I park at airport or go away for a few days.

So, like you, still trying to figure out what’s up.. I even was seeking forscan settings for a possible solution.

Last edited by YappyFox; 03-14-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 AM

Well, I took it back in and Ford said they didn’t have the daylight sensor hooked up, now everything is working as advertised, for now. I just can’t believe the radio install would do that or the heater control module went bad....
The following users liked this post:
Sam111 (08-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daylight sensor

Originally Posted by KevinGwin
Well, I took it back in and Ford said they didn’t have the daylight sensor hooked up, now everything is working as advertised, for now. I just can’t believe the radio install would do that or the heater control module went bad....
I would assume if that was not hooked up, auto headlamps would not work. I never can see if the cluster is lit during the day, I only see it at night or in my closed garage.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM

I just mean after Ford replaced everything back to OEM, they forgot that wire. Somehow it’s all working fine now. I could see the lights on in the day and night
Old 11-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YappyFox

I had the same issue with mine. I too at first thought I had a dead battery, and replaced it with new.. but the new would die after a day.. Got a better brand, but still only can go 2 days.. Then I noticed the climate control lights staying on. I removed the PAC module and switched to maestro since they finally released a harness, and it gives nifty guage info to the radio for display., I kept the PAC modified bezel with the old radio controls removed. Those climate lights still stay on and kill my battery. It happened with the PAC module, and the Maestro. I even put the factory bezel/radio in for a few weeks to no avail.

I also have after market remote start, but I can unplug and disable that (ODB module) and the issue still persists..

I checked to be sure it wasn’t the park interlock switch that plagued earlier models, but that would show up in the instrument cluster if it was not working right.

Oddly, there are occasions with opening doors and closing them, that the lights will not stick on, but I can’t duplicate the how or when they will stick on.

I ended up putting a kill switch on the battery for when I park at airport or go away for a few days.

So, like you, still trying to figure out what’s up.. I even was seeking forscan settings for a possible solution.

I'm having the same issue, 2015 4.3" display installed the maestro kit and the backlight was staying on. I put everything back to OEM and the issue was resolved. Seeing as I want the kit installed I started investigating a little more.

When comparing the two setups, the FTR1 kit eliminates three main things. The 4.3" display, the cd player and the 2 circuit boards behind the keypad and the stereo source selection (menu, radio, etc). With the OEM bezel installed, I found that after I removed the two top ribbon cables (disconnecting the top circuit boards) and plugged the OEM bezel back in the the center console lights would come back on after exiting the truck, similar to what occurs with the FTR1 kit installed. Note that with the 4 ribbons installed and cd player and display removed I could not recreate the issue.

Currently there is not a way to incorporate the 2 additional circuit boards with the FTR1 kit so I have placed everything back to OEM (4 ribbons installed). I have a thread started on the 12voltdata forums to see if there is a way to resolve this.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2020, 04:24 AM

Default Me too

I’m think I’m having the same same issue as you guys....
I have a ‘15 F-150 - had a Sony radio installed by a professional installer - it is a bigger screen - so they changed out the Dash kit- and stacked the A/C controls and installed a maestro kit. Now a few months after the install my battery died- I bought a new battery - started investigating and realized that my A/C control lights come on about 1-2 mins after locking the doors and exiting the truck. It’s just the A/C control lights come on and that’s it -
The guy who installed the radio says it’s all factory A/C controls and he can not fix it - he wants me to take it to the Ford dealer. I’m taking it in next week.... I know they are going to say it is lighting up because of the radio install because it’s not factory- but I don’t know what else to do. So frustrating. I just want a nice radio and sound system in my truck - I do not want to go back to my 4.3 screen and factory system. Any other options- please share.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2015 Ford XL regular cab RWD 8' bed pickup (without Synch). Same issue... climate control lights randomly stay on after exiting the pickup.

I installed the iDataLink FTR1 kit, a Maestro RR interface module, a Pioneer AVIC-5201 (stereo/navigation) head unit, a pair of Pioneer TS-A692C speakers (includes separate tweeters for the pillars), and a Rockford SS8P Slim Under Seat Powered Subwoofer. I'm very happy with the in-dash navigation, and it sounds fantastic (for my ears anyway).

However the climate control lights randomly stay on after I exit the pickup. The battery got drained once. It didn't take long to figure out it was related to the Maestro RR interface module installation.

Started a discussion on the iDatalink support site. They don't seem to care about this issue too much since its confined to the 2015 F150 and have offered very little support. They did mention that the problem occurs with the PAC interface module too. So there seems to be no other options by to put back the factory radio or put in a battery kill switch (which I don't really want to deal with).

I will try to return the FTR1 and Maestro RR. I will see if I can wire the head unit without the interface module since I don't have Synch and steering wheel controls, if not I'll pull the new head unit out too, replace it with the factory radio and add an amplifier to the factory radio to power the new speakers.

But before I do just wondering if anyone else, by chance, has made any progress with this issue.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by kt_pags
I have a 2015 Ford XL regular cab RWD 8' bed pickup (without Synch). Same issue... climate control lights randomly stay on after exiting the pickup.

I installed the iDataLink FTR1 kit, a Maestro RR interface module, a Pioneer AVIC-5201 (stereo/navigation) head unit, a pair of Pioneer TS-A692C speakers (includes separate tweeters for the pillars), and a Rockford SS8P Slim Under Seat Powered Subwoofer. I'm very happy with the in-dash navigation, and it sounds fantastic (for my ears anyway).

However the climate control lights randomly stay on after I exit the pickup. The battery got drained once. It didn't take long to figure out it was related to the Maestro RR interface module installation.

Started a discussion on the iDatalink support site. They don't seem to care about this issue too much since its confined to the 2015 F150 and have offered very little support. They did mention that the problem occurs with the PAC interface module too. So there seems to be no other options by to put back the factory radio or put in a battery kill switch (which I don't really want to deal with).

I will try to return the FTR1 and Maestro RR. I will see if I can wire the head unit without the interface module since I don't have Synch and steering wheel controls, if not I'll pull the new head unit out too, replace it with the factory radio and add an amplifier to the factory radio to power the new speakers.

But before I do just wondering if anyone else, by chance, has made any progress with this issue.
I reinstalled the kit with the 2 unused circuit boards and have not had the issue in a year. I ended up 3D printing 2 enclosures for the circuit boards, cut a 2 slits in the back of FTR1 to route the ribbons through and mounted the circuit boards to the back of the FTR1 case. Honestly it was a pain but was able to make it work.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 XL climate control lights draining battery