Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 5.0L possible coolant leak? Thermostat issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 5.0L possible coolant leak? Thermostat issue?

Hey, I’m looking for advice. I have a 2015 5.0L, in September 2023 I had a coolant leak essentially spraying out the bottom. The mechanic replaced the ware? pump, the water pump, front pinion seal and timing belt. All seemed fine until the Y-pipe started leaking out the bottom/front in March 2024 (possibly after a -40c weather stint - I live in northern Canada). Had that repaired. Now it’s using coolant, I don’t smell it or visibly see a leak. When it’s running, the engine fan (?) is almost always on/high, especially idling. The coolant and transmission temp gauges are always low upon starting and slowly increase as it warms/drive. The cabin only blows hot air. I apologize for using wrong terminology, I’m a female truck enthusiast looking for advice before taking it to a mechanic. Appreciate any leads!!

This is after driving to/from work in the course of one day

Last edited by xxtiara; 04-30-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:19 PM

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,716 Posts

Welcome, did they use a Motorcraft T Stat?
Old 04-30-2024, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Welcome, did they use a Motorcraft T Stat?
Thank you for replying. sorry, I just pulled the receipt. I provided incorrect info (updated since)

so they changed the water pump, front pinion seal, ‘ware’ pump (as on receipt), and timing belt.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:34 PM

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

first you have green coolant which is not correct. ford specifies the yellow. also the thermostat should be replaced with a motorcraft thermostat only. simple job. you could do it yourself with a YouTube video.
the coolant system likely has air in it, run your heater and leave cap off of reservoir an run your engine for 10 minutes while revving the engine to 2k rpm and add up to the fill line. You may have to do this multiple times in order to remove all the air.

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0L possible coolant leak? Thermostat issue?