Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 3.5EcoBoost - Pads/rotors/plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Default 2015 3.5EcoBoost - Pads/rotors/plugs

My brother-in-law and I had a maintenance day for our trucks. Both 3.5Eco's, mine with 72,xxx miles and his 58,xxx.

We both had pretty good shimmying in the truck on hard braking, so we just decided to replace all four pads and rotors with factory replacement Motorcraft branded parts (my brother is a Ford tech). Both trucks stop smooth as butter now. Job was pretty straight forward as most brake jobs go. The rears are a bit of a pain to knock loose from the E-Brake shoes.

Plugs were pretty easy as well, just followed a few directions from a couple YouTube videos and gapped to .032". Bought a GearWrench spark plug too off Amazon. Worth its weight in gold!

I wish I would have thought to take a picture of both of our old plugs. They were certainly ready to be changed, even at the sub-60,000 miles. I'll probably do them every 30k now that I know what I'm doing. Idle is much smoother now than before in both trucks. Also, we replaced the coil boots and squirted in some dielectric grease.

All-in, just over 4 hours of work. 2.5 with mine and a short 1.5 with my BIL's once we knew what we were doing.

Dad made homemade fried chicken afterwards made it all worth it!
Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the boots necessary to replace ?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjason323
Are the boots necessary to replace ?
According to my Ford Tech brother, no. However, for as cheap as they are and you have the coils out already, it's good practice. There was some white discoloration on a few of mine.

Quick Reply: 2015 3.5EcoBoost - Pads/rotors/plugs