Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 should I change my trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 should I change my trans fluid?

Hi everyone, I just recently purchased a 2013 with slightly higher miles than I was hoping for, but what my budget allowed for lol. Anyways it has 111k miles and I know Ford says 150k miles (which is way past what I would have liked to do which is 50-60k miles). I don't know if the trans has been flushed before and I am not experiencing any issues and this would just be preventative. So would you do it or is the mileage too high and you'd just leave it alone and hope for the best? Thanks in advance and I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any posts with similar mileage as mine.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

you could probably wait a while longer before changing it. if the fluid has a dark red or black look to it then definitely go ahead and change.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

I would drop the pan and change fluid and filter now. You are overdue. If you can drain converter, that would be great, if not you will change about half the capacity. You may want to consider a pan w/drainplug to do it again in the near future. I would not flush it.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Not knowing the operating conditions the truck was used in I would definitely recommend dropping the pan (gasket is reusable), the filter can be reused if it's not heavily contaminated and as mentioned drain the torque converter if it has a drain plug. You can't flush the transmission due to internal construction, you can flush the trans cooler.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone. Through other research I sort of figured I would do the following:
  • drop pan and change fluid
  • add new aftermarket pan with drain plug to do it more frequently without the mess
Will be posting back here after I get it done. Hopefully this next week I will have it done... stupid job gets in the way of everything! Luckily this isn't my daily driver and it can sit until I change it.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

You will find out if the pan was ever dropped before if you find the notorious shipping plug in the pan.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by raski
You will find out if the pan was ever dropped before if you find the notorious shipping plug in the pan.
Could you please elaborate as I don't know what you're talking about? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammock
Could you please elaborate as I don't know what you're talking about? Thanks.

If they still use them. It don't necessarily mean the pan has never been dropped if they left it in there.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammock
Thanks everyone. Through other research I sort of figured I would do the following:
  • drop pan and change fluid
  • add new aftermarket pan with drain plug to do it more frequently without the mess
Will be posting back here after I get it done. Hopefully this next week I will have it done... stupid job gets in the way of everything! Luckily this isn't my daily driver and it can sit until I change it.

I very carefully drilled a hole in the bottom of my pan to drain the fluid. Than removed pan and filter. Than expanded the hole and welded in a drain plug. Reinstalled all and it has been great. Much cheaper than buying a whole new pan.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 PM

thanks everyone

Quick Reply: 2013 should I change my trans fluid?