Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2012 f150 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 f150 5.0

I just registered for this site because my brothers 2012 F150 4x4 5.0 has been acting up for a while now and nobody can find the issue..

Truck has a little under 130k miles.

Fuel mileage has dropped down to like 12mpg highway..

Started with a ticking noise. I looked at his plugs and they were all dark and gapped between .064 - .069 and looked original. Put NGK plugs in with a gap of .042 on every one. Upon first start the truck immediately ran worse than ever! After a little while ran the same as it used to prior to the plug change.

Truck showed missfiring in cylinder 6 and sometimes 4, but only when taken into the shop and hooked up to their scanner. My OBDII Bluetooth scanner using Torque Pro doesn't show that the truck will even let you read missfires which I find insane. (Moved some of the coil packs around but haven't noticed the 'missfire' follow the coils).

The VVT (or whatever) sensor electronic plugs were super full of corrosion so we cleaned those out with MAF sensor cleaner, but that didn't seem to change anything. (Immediately after plugging them back in after they dried and starting the truck it had a pending P0010 code that once cleared never tried to come back).

Truck also makes coolant disappear magically quite fast. Haven't seen any in the oil, and did a combustion leak test which showed no exhaust in the coolant.

Truck sounds like its knocking hard when cold starting, but mellows out after in closed loop, but has recently started experiencing a loss of power when trying to accelerate, (he says it feels less powerful all around than it used to).

Seems like its getting worse and I don't know what to do with it! Ford, (and every mechanic its been taken to), say it sounds normal but you can hear an obvious tick at warm idle and a knock noise on cold start/idle.

Also, when revving it up at idle it shows it has KR.

Last thing I can think of is that it never pops up any pending codes, and doesnt ever pop up a CEL. Please help, really don't want to throw parts at it for no reason..

Last edited by Creg1007; 05-29-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that we moved the coil.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe for me to assume that nobody knows? Or that nobody has even viewed this? I joined these forums because it looked like they have people online helping one another, and I figured someone would be able to offer some kind of insight or advice.. Not like the truck is going to just figure it’s crap out so it’s not getting any better...

Quick Reply: 2012 f150 5.0