Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2010 F150 PCM Reflash/TCM ASBUILT reset after trans replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 F150 PCM Reflash/TCM ASBUILT reset after trans replacement?

Hi all. I am sure somewhere buried on the site is info I can sluice to answer these questions piece by piece, but I'm out of my depth and doing my best to get of this without throwing the check book at the Ford dealer. Bear in mind, I'm a broke blue collar dad with just enough savvy to get myself in a world of trouble, but I really am trying to learn so I can work on this thing and do it correctly. This started because 3 local shops quoted me over $7000 to replace my 4x4 6R80. I purchased one from what has seemed to be a reputable company for $2700 after core return. I did have the battery unhooked for an extended period, but I did not disconnect anything major on the engine except the MAF which is plugged in and apparently working properly. Of course unplugged the transmission and transfer case, and have double checked, both are plugged back in. Company stated to have Ford use IDS to program with ASBUILT data, not to program solenoid strategies. Also reset TCM and KAM. I do not trust my local Ford dealer, I have only ever gotten, "Yeah kid, this'll be a billion dollars to fix, or we can send you to the finance department to work on buying a new one from us." If there's any way to use an independent shop or do it myself, I'd really prefer to, but it is what it is at this point. I need my truck back online.

I have been using FORSCAN with the $60 OBDLinkEX interface. I have the following codes.

PCM- P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

TCM- U2050 - No Application Present

TCM- U2051 - One or More Calibration Files Missing/Corrupt

Under "Configuration and Programming", I cannot see the PCM or TCM available to reset to AS BUILT. Are they protected somehow? Attempted to clear my TCM adaptive tables in "service procedures," and a pop up said the attempted procedure was not supported. Apparently I "reset" both the TCM and PCM under Service, but the codes remain and nothing has changed.

When I start the truck, it fires up like it should, but immediately feels like it goes to a lower idle, and the engine fan kicks on high and stays on. I DO NOT have speedometer function. I have my check engine on due to TCM codes, but also a service symbol, low fuel, and traction symbols in the blue mileage cluster in the low center of the dash display. I have park, reverse, neutral, but only one forward gear. Feels like 3rd or 4th, engine will rev up to 3000 RPM in that gear without "low power", but of course, no shift. Rear lamps also do not indicate reverse when I am in reverse.

So have I thunder-flipped the whole works, and I need to go to Ford to have them re-flash before I can even start diagnosing? I've read protentional issues are lead frame in the transmission. But I hate to start throwing money at more parts when it could be I just need to suck it up and spend a day at the dealer service department forcing them to do exactly what I've asked, no more, no less.

As far as my abilities, I successfully did a timing chain job on the truck over a year ago which included a new oil pump and rollers/lifters on all 24 valves. 5.4L 3v motor. Truck has run solid with no issues during that time. Lost reverse in mid February, got tired of being charged $300 in diagnostics at shops to tell me to replace the trans. Figured I'd just do it myself. Truck started fine, torque converter must be spinning because it ate up fluid as it got hot. Topped it to proper level when hot at idle, then went to check gears which is when I really noticed we had more issues than some dash lights. So that's where I'm at, any input to point me in the right direction is helpful.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're on the Colorado Front Range, use Elite Auto Service. Only outfit I could find willing to work on the computer issues. I refused to take it in to the dealer. Towed the truck in, gave them the scoop, they had the sucker out the door in two days.

PCM ended up getting reset to ASBUILT and updated, then it finally talked to the TCM which could then be reset to ASBUILT data. Got about 30 miles of various driving on the truck since the reset, everything runs and shifts smooth. Did my shocks all around while I was doing the transmission, they aligned it and man it drives straight as an arrow and shifts like butter.

Two months of major brain damage to get this project all figured out and buttoned up finally had a nice resolution. Tickled to have my Lariat back in action where she belongs. Good luck on repairs all.

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 PCM Reflash/TCM ASBUILT reset after trans replacement?