Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2009 Engine carbon build up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Engine carbon build up?

Hoping to get a little bit of info on my predicament. I have a 2009 f150 5.4l with 175,xxx miles. Last spring, it started making weird, chattering noises, but only once the engine was up to operating temperatures and only when taking a turn at low RPM or going up a severe incline (parking garage). Every time this would happen, putting the truck in neutral and increasing the RPM, by tapping the throttle, seemed correct the issues. I knew I was coming due on a timing chain and have read up on the crappy plastic timing chain guides ford used, but figured it wasn't too severe and I could prolong it a bit longer. Fast forward to mid summer. The noise started happening under any RPM when the engine came up to temp with decreased power noticed. This wasn't a tick, but rather a chatter, like a loose chain. I parked it for the summer as I have a work vehicle and figured I would get to it when I get to it.

I brought it into a local shop a couple weeks ago. I do not have a relationship with this shop as I just recently moved to the area. The mechanic informed me that the noise I was hearing could be due to carbon build up in the interior pipes of the engine. Suggested we run a oil cleaner for a week and go from there. He told me yesterday that the oil cleaner did not work and he suggests that I get a new engine because the engine has too much carbon build up to allow oil to flow properly to the top side of the engine. Is it easy to come to this conclusion without actually opening up the motor?

Should I get a second opinion? I've only had one ford in the past and it ran well into the 250k+ miles with only normal maintenance.

Truck was run on full syn every 5-6k miles.

Thanks for any help,

Travis

Quick Reply: 2009 Engine carbon build up?