Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2003 4.6L idle revs then stalls over and over in park

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [RESOLVED] 2003 4.6L idle revs then stalls over and over in park

So, this problem started recently. When I'd start the truck, it'd rev up pretty much like normal, then the idle would stall down to 100-200RPM briefly and bounce back up to normal. After a little while, it got to where it'd do it a couple times when you started the truck. Now it's doing it over and over, and only levels out after about 30 seconds - if at all.

The truck itself is driving fine otherwise. It doesn't do it when you're just stopped while driving, it's only when it's in park. It doesn't fully die (yet) while it's doing it. It also hasn't thrown a code (again, yet) about it. I'm thinking it's gotta be a fuel pressure issue of some kind. Maybe not the pump, but the filter? Or maybe the MAF?

Last edited by TheQuicksilver; 05-26-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Marking as solved
Old 05-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Unplug the maf and see how it reacts.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Unplug the maf and see how it reacts.
What would the expectation be there? If that's the problem, would unplugging it make it better, worse, or stay the same?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Most likely it would make it better if that's the problem.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Most likely it would make it better if that's the problem.
Well, the short answer is, I'm not sure if it is or isn't the issue, but I'm encouraged at least. I pulled it and started the truck and it started fine. I reconnected it and... it started fine. So I think tomorrow I'll give it a good cleaning and see where that leaves me.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Once you clean it, disconnect the battery negative (-) cable for no less than 15 mins. That'll reset KAM and allow the truck to go into learning mode and adapt to the sensors readings as well as your driving style. Sort of like rebooting a computer when it gets sluggish.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

i would go ahead and clean the throttle body along with what rnlcomp said to do
Old 05-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Well, I cleaned the MAF and thought I was in the clear, but the problem came right back. The problem seems to be worse when the engine is hot, and I noticed (though this is more likely a symptom rather than the issue) that the vacuum sensor drops off as it stalls. I'm gonna try cleaning the throttle body and doing the KAM reset next.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by TheQuicksilver
When I'd start the truck, it'd rev up pretty much like normal, then the idle would stall down to 100-200RPM briefly and bounce back up to normal. After a little while, it got to where it'd do it a couple times when you started the truck. Now it's doing it over and over, and only levels out after about 30 seconds - if at all.

The truck itself is driving fine otherwise. It doesn't do it when you're just stopped while driving, it's only when it's in park. It doesn't fully die (yet) while it's doing it. It also hasn't thrown a code (again, yet) about it. I'm thinking it's gotta be a fuel pressure issue of some kind.
If it is fine in Neutral, but not Park, then I wouldn't think it's an engine part only problem. The MAF and fuel pressure and all of that are still in play in Neutral, Drive, and Reverse. Maybe focus on what's different about Park.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Good thought. I hadn't tested neutral. As far as I can tell, drive and reverse are fine - or at least the problem doesn't present itself at that point.

I just tested resetting the KAM, but that does not appear to have worked. I'm eyeing the IAC as a possibility. It was reading 12 ohms, which is fine, but maybe something else is going on there.

Quick Reply: 2003 4.6L idle revs then stalls over and over in park