Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2001 F150 4.6L Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 4.6L Will not start

I have a 2001 F150 4.6L . The truck acts like it wants to start but then won't run. Like it ignites but doesn't have enough fuel to keep running. I just RECENTLY had the battery and starter checked thinking that it would fix my starting issues. Well, it did for a few days, but then the problem reoccurred. I noticed that when I went to start my truck, the instrument panel needles would jump all the way forward. When I can get it running, no codes show up from the computer and no check engine light. It had NEVER done that before! Now the truck won't start. The starter turns but won't turn the motor. Lights are all working, everything works normal EXCEPT it won't start. This is an intermittent problem, occasionally if I let it sit for a long period of time it will start, run a couple days or weeks, then do it again. I'm thinking fuel pump? Filter? I'm not really sure at this point. It threw me off when the gauges started acting weird. Like it was electrical or something... PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Your truck has a PATS key and the the system is in the instrument cluster. Any recent work involving the instrument cluster? The system works by disabling the fuel pump. I've even see where they wouldn't start due to multiple PATS keys on one key ring "confusing" the system. A bad connection on the rear of the cluster would allow it to turn over but not start, but throw no codes if and when it did start. No guarantees on this but rule it out before throwing money at replacing parts.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if its PATS related the 'theft' light in the cluster will flash when it acts up. If the theft light isnt flashing its not a PATS issue

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 4.6L Will not start