Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1998 F150 4.6 L Howls.....Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 F150 4.6 L Howls.....Help?

Hello everyone of F150 Forum. I am currently having a very high pitch annoying howl sound coming from my "Cold Air Intake" after i replaced the "IAC Valve". What could be causing the noise? I have talked to a few mechanics that usually deal with along with several dealers and they aren't sure. The suggested that it was my "Fan Clutch" but they still were just guessing and were not 100% sure.

I have read post about this problem on multiple forums and they suggest that I change my "IAC Valve" which has already been accomplished.

EDIT: VIDEO OF PROBLEM! SORRY FOR THE DOG BARKING.
View My Video

Last edited by sp33dy36; 04-09-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Video of Problem: Made By ME! (:
Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Default 97 4.6, same exact issue

I recently tore down the whole tb assembly, and cleaned everything out really good, when I put everything back together, wouldn't idle... My guess is that I cleaned the IAC a little TOO good! haha. So I changed the IAC and got the idle back, but for my troubles, got the same moose call (as I've seen someone describe it here in the countless threads I've read about this issue) and it's rather annoying. I have the stock airbox/flow, the vibration comes from between the filter housing and the maf. the elbow lookin tube. I've read that its the PCV valve causing this, well I changed it and still no help. The only two things I have left to change on the tb assembly, is egr valve (changed solenoid) and TPS...

And to add to my awesome luck, a clicking sound in the fan area just sprouted out last night...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sounds like that new IAC is defective.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 AM

Yea, that's the conclusion I came to. I took it back, talked to someone about it, and he told me, yea that's probably a bad part. I haven't been able to put the new one yet.. belt gave last night, that was a lot of fun driving the truck home with no power steering! ha. anyway.. I've got a brand new iac, hopefully this one isn't defective, new belt, cleaning pulleys and such, puttin er all back together in the a.m.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM

The iac was the problem. I replaced it this morning and the howling noise vanished like magic. Good thing I had a year warranty!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 AM

I was fairly aggravated to find out that the 2nd IAC valve went bad after just a few days... Led me to believe it was something else.. Went to Autozone instead of Advance this time for my 3rd one, 500 some odd miles and no issues.

Quick Reply: 1998 F150 4.6 L Howls.....Help?