Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1990 f150 no fuel or spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 f150 no fuel or spark

i have a 1990 f150 302 and one day the battery died and i went to put it on charge, let it sit for a bit, now it will try to start but there is no spark, nor do i hear my fuel pump. i’ve checked fuses and relays, my ignition coil is good, so is the module, i haven’t tested my pump yet, i’m thinking it’s either ECM because i tested the coil and it was good, but when i plug it back in and go to start nothing comes from the coil to the distributor through the plug wire. if anyone has anything that would help before i have to potentially waste some money i would appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test the fuel pump, and check at the Shrader valve on the rail to make sure it doesnt just need to be purged... Did you actually test the coil wire or just the coil? Is the 12v wire feeding the coil actually getting voltage? Is the spark from the coil not making it TO the distributor, or PAST the distributer?
Old 12-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Don't spend a penny on parts until you KNOW what has failed. If you can't find anything, pay a pro to find it (NOT to throw parts at it). If you put your location in your profile, someone might have suggestions on what shop to go to. You should also put ALL the truck's details into your signature as this caption explains:

(click this text)

Have you tested voltage at the fuel pump during cranking? Did you reset the inertia switch? Do you have a Haynes manual?

(click this text)

Follow the ignition diagnostic procedure in Ch.5 (usually Sec.5 or 7, depending on which edition you have).

Quick Reply: 1990 f150 no fuel or spark