Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1990 F150 custom needs some TLC!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1990 F150 custom needs some TLC!

I have a 1990 f150 custom that i purchased about 6 yrs ago. I had to replace a few things when i first purchased it and it has been running fine up until about 2 months ago. This is my first time owning a truck and am used to fixing 4 cylinders as i am a home mechanic. First the oil pressure will drop low when ever i am slowing down or stopped and only goes up when i apply gas or am driving. That will be my first question. Would anyone know why that would happen? My first guess is that the oil pump is bad. Also i keep eating up bearings on the right front side wheel. I took it to the shop a couple months ago b/c i thought maybe i was doing something wrong packing the bearings out and installing them, but the problem has returned yet again. I was thinking about replacing "spindle" i believe it is called. Also the left rear drum brakes keep locking up and the shoes are disintegrated when i pull off the drum off. I have bled the brakes and changed the springs other parts that allow the brake to function properly. Would anyone know why the brakes are continuously locking up and breaking apart like that and how to fix it? My last problem that has come up as of last night is that my truck would not start after driving for about an hour. It started to run very rough so i pulled over in a parking lot to check it and it would not restart for quite some time. After about an hour it started right up but with a very loud clanking noise. I added some oil just in case but that did not stop the clanking. I decided to try my luck and drive home and after about 20 mins of driving the clanking stopped but the truck drove like total garbage! That i would love to get someone input into what that could possibly be, maybe someone is having the same issues as i am. Thanks to all that respond. This is my only vehicle so i must get it back up and running ASAP!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
BLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh dear, you do have a few problems! Well, I'll tell you what I can. Let's see... low oil pressure. Our trucks are known for their sending units going bad. Could be that's what's happening on yours. Guess you could replace the sending unit ($15 bucks or so) and see what happens. Could also be a bad/plugged oil filter. Might need a new one of those. Suppose you could put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what it says before you just throw parts at it but a sender and oil filter are cheap so... Oh, bad oil pump? Not likely but that's where you need to put a gauge on it to be sure.

#2 RF Wheel Bearing. Keeps going out huh. Odd!?! Well, I'm going to assume that both the bearing and the race got changed at the same time right? If not, that's your problem. You can not put a new bearing on an old race. If however the race is new... Hmmm, wow that's a tough one, Over tightening maybe? Improper installation? Bad rotor somehow? I think at this point I'd go with a new rotor or a used one maybe. (cheaper) A spindles a real long shop so unless you see actual damage where the bearing rides... Don't think so.

#3 Eating brake shoes up. Sounds like either brake fluid is getting (seeping out the wheel cylinder) onto the shoes or the emergence brake is hanging up somehow and burning the shoes up. Repair as necessary.

#4 Dying/clanking. Boy you do have the problems don't you! Anyhoo, man I don't know what to tell there. I suppose there's the possibility that you were right all along about the oil pump and you've spun a main or rod bearing maybe. That would definitely make it clank. Not sure it would stop making the noise but stranger things have happened. Well, just on a reeeeeal long shot, check the engine ground out. Poor ground might make it run really bad and drop your oil pressure reading too. And the clank... maybe a miss fire because of poor ground? Geez, I dunno know there.

Final thing. Before you spend any more money, I think you need to get somebody to at least give you their opinion on the engine. No point on doing anything if it's toast right.

Good luck.

Last edited by BLS; 11-06-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 custom needs some TLC!