Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04 limpmode issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 limpmode issue

Well yesterday I was driving my truck and the ABS light came on first, then the wrench light, and the check engine light next. Everytime the truck is turned on it is perfectly normal but once it hits 40 mph everytime it puts itself into limpmode. I already took the TB off and cleaned it after reading into other peoples problems with this, and it didnt help. Could it be the TPS? Its only 70$ for one might be worth trying and then if not try and return it. Could it be that I need an entirely new TB? Just wonder why it would go bad all of a sudden and need an entiree new TB. Was also wondering if perhaps it could be something with my ABS because it happens at exactly 40 mph everytime I tried driving in just 1st gear at high rpms and even just putting the truck in second right when it hits 40 mph regardless it starts......If anyone has any idea on what to do it would be great.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

did you get any code? its free to check the codes in any discount auto parts... that would be the first step.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

clean your MAF
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM

bought a new TPS today, replaced it problem still came back.....tried unplugging the battery to reset it but didnt work...unplugged it again and going to let it sit about an hour perhaps it wasnt quite long enough the first time....if it isnt the tps id assume it is the TB?

Where is the MAF located on the 2004's?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 PM

Default help!

Originally Posted by kye450
Well yesterday I was driving my truck and the ABS light came on first, then the wrench light, and the check engine light next. Everytime the truck is turned on it is perfectly normal but once it hits 40 mph everytime it puts itself into limpmode. I already took the TB off and cleaned it after reading into other peoples problems with this, and it didnt help. Could it be the TPS? Its only 70$ for one might be worth trying and then if not try and return it. Could it be that I need an entirely new TB? Just wonder why it would go bad all of a sudden and need an entiree new TB. Was also wondering if perhaps it could be something with my ABS because it happens at exactly 40 mph everytime I tried driving in just 1st gear at high rpms and even just putting the truck in second right when it hits 40 mph regardless it starts......If anyone has any idea on what to do it would be great.
Help! Has anyone figured this out? I cleaned the tps, changed the actuator motor on TB, took off the TB and scrubbed it with TB cleaner. Then got 8 new coil packs and new plugs did all that and got all codes cleared. After all that 40mph truck goes into limp home mode before 40mph works perfect. Anyone had this?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

check the fuse box area. Mine ended up being a poor connector above the fuse box by the passenger side kick panel. I was able to confirm it was electrical because after a while a few other things quit working too (horn, high beams, blinkers, etc.) If you have any electrical components that don't work when this happens, check your connections.

Quick Reply: 04 limpmode issue