Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

'04 F-150 shutter in rear end when turning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 F-150 shutter in rear end when turning?

I have a 2004 lariat f-150 that has a shake and makes a scraping type noise, I'm guessing it's the clutch pack from what I've read but if so is it hard to do so? I'm 20 and don't have much more money than the cost of my parts and I'm pretty mechanic savy so I'm going to attempt it on my own, any tips? Suggestions?? Also what type of replacement parts should I look into? Anything helps, thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Cheapest thing to try, would be to pull the cover and drain the fluid, then get a bottle of friction modifier and refill with new gear oil.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to the local Ford dealer and get 2 bottles of Motorcraft axle additive. Don't open it in the house though, stinks REALLY bad. Had the same issue and that took care of it.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If topping up the friction modifier does not remove the shudder , use the Ford clutch pak , comes in a nice kit , 80 bucks or so , does not come with the springs though , most guys at the shop would inspect the springs before replacing and if there are out of spec then change them out , use a good dial vernier caliper . All parts properly indexed . 2 man op for installation . Too much modifier will create a drag on the clutch packs .
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Welcome to the forum! My wife's Explorer had the same problem. First have you verified that you have a LS rear end? If you dont then this is not your problem. If you do in fact have a LS rear end then I recommend you pull the cover/drain the fluid. Then add in 2 of the 4oz Motorcraft friction modifier, replace the rest of the fluid new clean oil. The new oil should not have any friction modifier in it as you have added that already. This fixed my wife's Explorer and it was shuddering pretty bad.