Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help requested: making my own front spacer lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default help requested: making my own front spacer lift

For a 2012 f150 2wd:

Here is what I have so far. couldn't wiggle my way in to find overall diameter that the spacer should be. anyone have one they can measure for me? And is a 2.5" spacer actually 2.5" tall?(I don't want to go over 2.5" of lift). Thank you for your help

Why, you ask? I know I can buy a cheap one, I am technically able to pony up the dough for an expensive one. However, I have a HAAS TM-1P CNC machine that I am learning how to use. Milling holes, pockets, and slots in scrap is ok, but I want to practice by making something. its kinda like teaching my students welding, sticking 2 pieces of scrap is pretty boring compared to making something.

My plan is to use one solid block of steel or aluminum. I have also contemplated mimicking the ones that look like 2 header collector flanges with a pipe in between. looks like both designs rotate the original pattern, utilizing 6 bolts each instead of 3. would a 3 hole "flow through" and longer bolts be ok? or is there a structural purpose for the rotated pattern?

*disclaimer: I am NOT making these to sell. I am making a set for me, then I'll move on to a project that exercises other features of the machine.

Last edited by Tony Raine; 06-30-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I don't remember how tall a 2.5" level is but is is definately shorter than 2.5".
Other than that little bit I am of no other help.

I would like to see the finished product though.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my own lift too, I used x2 of 3/4 MS and welded them together.

I will look see if I have my pictures still but For your bolts that bolt to the strut mount I used 10.9 bolts and drilled holes in the one piece then put the bolts though and tacked them in place then welded that piece to the other opposing side 3/4 piece.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Bronco II Nut

cool, so less than 2.5" for a 2.5" lift. that helps my metal selection.

luke, did you do any before/after measurements? I like the stacked idea as well, gives me more options
Old 07-07-2017, 02:29 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

From what I remember its roughly 1.75" tall to net a 2.5" lift. You might want to have someone measure their spacer for you to be sure.

Technically you could use a longer stud, but you would need to press them out. Some of the other brand leveling kits made of urethane use stud extensions that thread on to the factory studs and go through the spacer. I kinda wonder if the longer stud could possible break or shear.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:36 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

A decent supreme level is so cheap on amazon, why would you do this? What is the cost in parts to make?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by AricsFX
A decent supreme level is so cheap on amazon, why would you do this? What is the cost in parts to make?
He's got a cnc machine.

Hell, if I had a cnc machine I'd cut ***** shaped emblems and stick them on the back of my friends cars.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by AricsFX
why does a dog lick his own *****? because he can

this is the view from my desk at work:

best way to learn is to make something

Originally Posted by white_dc
He's got a cnc machine.

Hell, if I had a cnc machine I'd cut ***** shaped emblems and stick them on the back of my friends cars.
now thats an idea . already engraved a really nice plaque for my friend that says "Casey Sucks"

but if this idea doesn't pan out, I'll make some coil spacers for my car. Dont think anyone makes a 2-3" lift for a '81 mustang
The following users liked this post:
white_dc (07-15-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

not sure f the thickness you need, but my kit uses bolts from the top down through the strut pocket into the spacer, makes for a much easier instal.