Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting my 6.5’ bed to a 5.5’ bed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Converting my 6.5’ bed to a 5.5’ bed

I have a 2014 f150 fx4 supercrew with a 6.5’ bed. That’s what I wanted when I bought the truck in 2014, but lately I have really been wanting a short box truck. To me they look way better and especially better when modified. I have mine leveled with wheel spacers and 35s but it think it will look way better short box.

I know now most people will say just sell and buy new. But I don’t have a big lot left owing on mine and by the time I sell it and take out a loan on a new one I will have a significant loan all over again and another long term payment. Plus I haven’t had any problems with my truck and I love it other than the fact that it got the longer bed, to me it just looks weird now. If it is too significant in money and work I would buy new but just wondering if it’s possible.

so from what I can tell, to get this done I would need to:

- romove box and buy a 5.5’ box and get it painted
- cut the correct amount off the end of chassis and cap ends
- cut off any mounts for rear end and whatever else and relocate them ahead on the frame.
- get a new driveshaft for the correct length
- shorten exhaust
- re locate spare tire mounting area

These are the major things I know need to be done and I’m sure I’m forgetting somethings, hopefully someone could chime in and give some advice on other things that needed to be done, etc. It doesn’t seem like to bad of a job to me but I could be missing the big picture. Thanks I’m advance.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Huh?

I have the capability and equipment to do a job like this in my own shop.... and there is no way in the world I would want to begin funding and carrying out a project like this! You can't just weld things to a tempered steel frame (without compromising its structural integrity), e.g.

I wish you success! Keep us posted!

:wow!:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Huh?

I have the capability and equipment to do a job like this in my own shop.... and there is no way in the world I would want to begin funding and carrying out a project like this! You can't just weld things to a tempered steel frame (without compromising its structural integrity), e.g.

I wish you success! Keep us posted!

:wow!:
so with regards to re locating the mounts and everything else for the rear end, it can’t just be removed and rewelded? I guess everything would have to be stress relieved on all the welds after in order to make sure it was structurally sound? I never really thought of this first..
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I thought the F150 frame was made up of separate subsections. You may be able to get the rear portion of the 145" WB truck from a wrecked one that was in a front end collision and put that on the back.

I recall seeing a thread recently where a guy got rear ended and they replaced the rear subsection of frame only.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I thought the F150 frame was made up of separate subsections. You may be able to get the rear portion of the 145" WB truck from a wrecked one that was in a front end collision and put that on the back.

I recall seeing a thread recently where a guy got rear ended and they replaced the rear subsection of frame only.

Hmm, If this is actually a thing I would be a very happy man. I will have to look into it
Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just pointing out the "point of diminishing returns". Any frame work will need to be done by a profession and certified frame restorer. I am a professional, but I am not a certified frame restorer.

There is so much work involved that it will eat up your cost headroom unbelievably fast.

Like I said: I wish you success. And *please* keep us posted!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Keep in mind if you don't square up the suspension mounting points 100% the alignment will always be off and could be dangerous.

May be cheaper for you to just buy a short box frame brand new from Ford and swap everything over. This seems like an unnecessary project given how new the truck is. Save up and trade.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I think this project will have more "Gotcha's" than you imagine. You won't just be moving things ahead on the frame and cutting off the tails. You'll have to shorten it between the axles.Then you have brake lines, fuel lines, wiring harness, E-brake cables etc. to deal with. It would be easier AND cheaper to trade. You'll also be left with a Frankenstein that will be nearly unsellable.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

pay attn: to stingray's suggestion & PerryB & others......basically you have to remove approx. 12'' of the frame ahead of the back axle...I would think everything else pretty much is the same (box mounting)....bear in mind brake/fuel lines/wire harness /fuel tank would be repostioned etc.& more would have to be moved /shortened... Any frame shortning would have to be done by someone that "REALLY" knows what they are doing!!! Strictly a labour/costly intensive project so consider this very carefully??

Last edited by maco; 12-21-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Okay, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions guys. Really seems like it wil not be worth it in the end, and may be unsafe, so I’m just going to put it out of my mind and look into possibly trading it in. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Converting my 6.5’ bed to a 5.5’ bed