Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a truck cap / tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Building a truck cap / tonneau cover

I've been looking for caps that actually improve MPG, can convert into a partially open bed in seconds and have more storage space than a tonneau cover. I've found exactly none. So the build begins!

First step, roughing out a shape that should meet my needs...

Now let's add a half roof and some structure...

More to come!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:17 PM

Moved inside because it's cold...

added two pieces of steel channel under roof. This is the support for my roof rack tracks and stiffens the roof. I'll later add supports under the steel channel.

Shaped the box a bit with a circular saw and sander. Added two pieces of aluminum angle and bolted through to the steel angle that runs perpendicular underneath. Drilled 3/4" holes in each channel as tie down points and to support a kayak rack that I will build later.

That's all I got done tonight. The next part will be tricky. I want to make a door on the back half that slides under the front half while appropriately managing water. Will post when I make progress.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool idea! I'm interested to see how it all finishes up!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 12-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice idea and good work so far. What are you going to finish it with to keep the plywood from swelling? I used primer, then bed liner on a piece of plywood for a ramp into my shed for the riding mower, and it shows no signs of water infiltration after 3 years. Years ago I built a storage box for the roof rack on a station wagon and just painted it, but only used it in dry weather for summer camping.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by bisjoe
Nice idea and good work so far. What are you going to finish it with to keep the plywood from swelling? I used primer, then bed liner on a piece of plywood for a ramp into my shed for the riding mower, and it shows no signs of water infiltration after 3 years. Years ago I built a storage box for the roof rack on a station wagon and just painted it, but only used it in dry weather for summer camping.
Thanks. I plan to use bed liner. My cousin does bed liners as part of his business and will spray it. He said it adheres best to wood and that I shouldn't prime it.

I put it back on the truck today to make sure I like the proportions and make sure everything lined up correctly. I was happy with it all around so back off to work on it more.

I boxed out the tails that run back to the tailgate. This is the frame for the sliding door what will recess below the roof. I also added aluminum channel to get rid of any rain that makes it's way between the sliding door and the door frame. I'll also be sure to add an aluminum "drip" edge to the door that sticks down into the channel a little bit.

That's it for now. Next chance I get I'll work on the sliding door.

Last edited by Gladehound; 12-18-2017 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (12-18-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Forks your lift

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

nice work! can't wait to see the finished product
Old 12-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks, me too! It's been slow going but I did manage to get the door put together today. Other than the door, I've just been sanding and shaping for better fit on the truck. Really only three things left to do before spraying. 1. Sand more 2. Fill in all the cracks and screw holes. 3. Sand more. Oh, and did I mention I need to sand it?!

Here's the door... my wife was gracious enough to allow me to do my gluing in the house. It's just takes too much fuel to keep that insulated barn warm over night!

Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM

I don't know why it wont let me edit. I meant "un-insulated barn"
Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Forks your lift

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

wow she must like you or something lol

Quick Reply: Building a truck cap / tonneau cover