Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Custom Switch Panel

Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2011 Custom Switch Panel

Hey guys, just thought I would throw this together with some pictures quickly. I spent a long time looking up switch panels, and ideas, for my truck. I needed atleast 4, but more the marrier for switches right!? Since my 2011 FX4 didn't come with a battery gauge, I decided to add one. A 14$ with sipping purchase off Amazon and I had what I needed.

I want to give u/Italianbuca the credit for the idea. His thread on making his panel was the idea I needed, and helped me along. I just changed how I did somethings.

I used 1/4" plexiglass, carbon fiber sticker sheet(ebay), big toggle switches and 3mm LEDS. I love how it came out.
First lay it out in cardboard..I had to do it 3 times before I liked what I have.

Then trace it onto your material of choice, and cut it out with whatever you have. I used a bandsaw, then sanded it with a table top belt/disc sander combo.

It took me some time to layout the LEDS and Switches to make them look clean and not cluttered. Once you have the layout, drill your holes. I forgot to take pics of this part, but I used a drill press. Started with a 1/8 drill bit, and worked my way up to the size I needed. Time consuming, but I didn't want to crack the plexi!

To cut my hole for the volt meter, I used a dremel tool with a cutting bit. It works similar to a router, but smaller and more precise. I used a file to fine trim it for a tight fit.

Test fit..

One that was cut, it was time to glue in the LEDs and start the wiring! Oh the joys! It seems I forgot to take a pic of it finished, but I used resistors on each of the LEDS since the voltage coming in would be way to high. It was a bit of a mess!

continued in next post..
Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Then, its done.

If there is anything I am missing and you need to know, I can take pics of post more details! Also, the volt meter is pretty bright. If it is, at night in the truck, then I will either add a layer of "smoke" spray paint, or a piece of light window tint. Haven't decided yet and wont know till later.

Thanks for lookin!
The following 3 users liked this post by Smasher!:
Jeriko (01-21-2016), Mike-in-Kingston (10-03-2015), snitz (05-16-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Not sure why no responses, but nice work that looks awesome!!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

looks good still deciding what to do for my 2015 f150
Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

That's pretty awesome. Makes me wish my XLT had a center console now haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Custom Switch Panel