Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Gurus: Tap Morimoto DRL to Parking Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring Gurus: Tap Morimoto DRL to Parking Lights?

I installed my Morimoto XB's a few weeks ago and while I do like them (even with some issues), I dont like that the LED strips are on anytime the truck is on. Would it be possible to tap the power wire for the headlights into the wiring for the parking lights? That way if the headlight switch is in the OFF position, then NO lights are on, and if its in AUTO position, I can change the DRL in FORScan to parking lights and bam, they're on as true DRLs?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming you are talking about the entire headlight housing from Morimoto correct, also plug and play? If so, then itll be an internal wiring job from the headlight itself. If they didnt design the LED strip to turn off then i dont think you can change outside wiring to make it do so.

So even when you turn the headlight power off inside the LED strip stays on for the headlight? That seems very weird and a huge over sight on their part. Emailing theretrofitsource.com might be the best option, they have amazing customer service.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:34 PM

Yes, the entire housing. The LED strip is powered via a fuse thats live with the ignition so yeah, its on all the time. I'll check with TRS and see what they say. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Hmm, If you are able to access that wire you could cut it from power then tap it into your DRL wire on the light. You just have to be able to get to that wire somehow.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thuggs
Hmm, If you are able to access that wire you could cut it from power then tap it into your DRL wire on the light. You just have to be able to get to that wire somehow.
I thought of this too, except my DRL then would be the LED lights and the low beam headlights which i'd rather not have. I suppose I could tap into the parking light wire on a harness though, that could be a solution.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 PM

If you have access to the wire you def could tap it into anything else you prefer.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you TeXLT or anyone else try this out and/or figure out a way to do so?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

I actually thought about putting a switch in between the wire that goes from the headlights to the fuse box but then I found out even with it unplugged they are still on and all that does is Make it so the drls get brighter when the headlights are off and vice a versa.

So long story short, when I unplug that wire to the fuse box they still stay on but they are just in the dim mode.

So there goes that idea for me
The following users liked this post:
Michael Minisee (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought 💭 the same and then figured it was internal to the assembly, but was hoping it would be that easy 🙏🏽

Quick Reply: Wiring Gurus: Tap Morimoto DRL to Parking Lights?