Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire to cargo lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Wire to cargo lights?

I am hoping that someone can point me to the wire, hopefully under the hood or otherwise not too difficult to access, that could be cut to disconnect the cargo lights on the back of the cab. I have a canopy on permanently, so the lights are no use at all, and if I put a bullet connector in the wire it could be reconnected if required. I am annoyed that there is no method in the driver's manual of programming the lights being off when they ( and all the rest) are not needed, and the doors are opened. There appears not to be a fuse that could be removed to accomplish this.
Perhaps disconnecting lights upsets the truck's computer?
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

I posted this question the first year that I had the truck, and now that the time has come for cab cleaning, etc, I am once again wondering if there is a way to kill the light. Pulling the whole canopy back to take out the bulb isn't really an option, and I would be concerned about getting the lens re-sealed properly.. Thanks.

Last edited by Alan in bc; 04-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Are you looking to disable both the Center Mount High Brake Light (CMHBL) and the cargo lights that are part of the assembly?

Does your canopy have a CMHBL mounted to it? If so do you know where it gets it's signal from?

I think this can be accomplished via software.

If you confirm I will dig into the Forscan stuff to see if I can then point you in the right direction.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
Are you looking to disable both the Center Mount High Brake Light (CMHBL) and the cargo lights that are part of the assembly?

Does your canopy have a CMHBL mounted to it? If so do you know where it gets it's signal from?

I think this can be accomplished via software.

If you confirm I will dig into the Forscan stuff to see if I can then point you in the right direction.
Thanks - I am just looking to disable the white "cargo" light with a snip. I have read that they are prone to melting the housing when the doors are left open, for one thing. Yes, the canopy does have the CMHBL, but I don't necessarily want to stop the one on the cab from coming on. It doesn't matter, since it has nothing to do with the door being open. I have no access to Forscan, although from all that I have read, it is quite the tool for customizing the functions of the truck.
Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you just take the bulb out?
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by mcso
Could you just take the bulb out?
Originally Posted by Alan in bc
I posted this question the first year that I had the truck, and now that the time has come for cab cleaning, etc, I am once again wondering if there is a way to kill the light. Pulling the whole canopy back to take out the bulb isn't really an option, and I would be concerned about getting the lens re-sealed properly.. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 391 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan in bc
Thanks - I am just looking to disable the white "cargo" light with a snip. I have read that they are prone to melting the housing when the doors are left open, for one thing. Yes, the canopy does have the CMHBL, but I don't necessarily want to stop the one on the cab from coming on. It doesn't matter, since it has nothing to do with the door being open. I have no access to Forscan, although from all that I have read, it is quite the tool for customizing the functions of the truck.
Thanks again for the reply.
No easy way to get rid of those lights, the easiest would have been removing the bulbs before the cap was put on or pulling the plug at the light. I've had the light off before, never had any trouble with water. Never had trouble with melting lenses either. Even if you leave the door open, the lights eventually shut off if I remember right.
The lights are fed directly off the BCM, in the wiring diagrams no intermediate plugs show, so the wires go directly from the lights to the BCM. Forscan isn't going to help, I have never seen a way to shut off individual bulbs.
About the only place these wires would be accessible would be the passenger door sill, its a violet colored wire from what my wiring book says, but at the same time, there maybe more than one violet wire going to different places.
The following users liked this post:
Alan in bc (04-09-2018)