Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind whistle at high speed from windshield area

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind whistle at high speed from windshield area

I bought my truck in April. The first issue was no refrigerant. After three visits they finally found the leak. Soon after I took it on a road trip and heard a high pitched and very annoying whistle coming from the windshield area. It happened above 70. I taped the cowl and it shifted it to 80 or 85. Turning recirc off also does the same thing. I have left it at the dealer 5 times for this. There are three service (tips), I think one is a TSB that mention a whistle at speed affected by recirc. One is to reseal the dash push pins into the firewall, which requires removing the windshield. They have done that. One has to do with more stuffing inside the A-pillar. They did that. Just this week they pulled the whole dash out. It's still there. I have a case opened by the regional customer service manager. They extended my warranty about 10,000 miles ago. Today the Ford engineer told them to tape the A-pillar and mirror. I am in Dallas and they can't hit 80 around here, so a technician has to drive it home a long ways away every time they try something to see if it works. This has been going on for 6 months. I have made over 20 trips to the dealer and had 6 different loaners. They would make it go Lemon Law but I would owe over $3000 for the miles I have driven it. It's been such a nightmare I've kind of become numb. I decided to try the internet again tonight because I can't be the only one and surely more will hear this as more of these are on the road? I have a Youtube video of it:

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 PM
UXB

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine ended up being a bad seal when windshield was glued in when built. But it started a whole bunch of other crap because of the lack of care when in the dealers position. One thing I would check is your door gaps,,,
Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wind Whistle

Originally Posted by fulltilt
I bought my truck in April. The first issue was no refrigerant. After three visits they finally found the leak. Soon after I took it on a road trip and heard a high pitched and very annoying whistle coming from the windshield area. It happened above 70. I taped the cowl and it shifted it to 80 or 85. Turning recirc off also does the same thing. I have left it at the dealer 5 times for this. There are three service (tips), I think one is a TSB that mention a whistle at speed affected by recirc. One is to reseal the dash push pins into the firewall, which requires removing the windshield. They have done that. One has to do with more stuffing inside the A-pillar. They did that. Just this week they pulled the whole dash out. It's still there. I have a case opened by the regional customer service manager. They extended my warranty about 10,000 miles ago. Today the Ford engineer told them to tape the A-pillar and mirror. I am in Dallas and they can't hit 80 around here, so a technician has to drive it home a long ways away every time they try something to see if it works. This has been going on for 6 months. I have made over 20 trips to the dealer and had 6 different loaners. They would make it go Lemon Law but I would owe over $3000 for the miles I have driven it. It's been such a nightmare I've kind of become numb. I decided to try the internet again tonight because I can't be the only one and surely more will hear this as more of these are on the road? I have a Youtube video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rFkayVkZkY

Did you find find a solution to this?

I just bought a 2016 F150 XL Sport 2.7 EB 4X4 SCrew and have the same sound issue.

Anyone else still getting similar noise?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Gulleyrw
Did you find find a solution to this?

I just bought a 2016 F150 XL Sport 2.7 EB 4X4 SCrew and have the same sound issue.

Anyone else still getting similar noise?
I have the same problem.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ToughFX4
I have the same problem.
I have tried taping all the open spaces on the mirror as I thought that was it. Next I will try the windshield and door seal. More info to come as I also sent a video to my purchasing dealer.

Truck sticker says it rolled off the line 10/14/16. I'm 2 weeks in and 2K miles of headaches at this point.

Every time I think it's better it comes back unchanged.

Hope I don't have to relay on Black duct tape for the next 200k miles.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:07 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Funny, my driver's door whistles with recirc off. Turn it on, whistle goes away.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

There isn't any trim at the top of the windshields. A small 3" long leaf got frozen in there on mine by its stem and sounded terrible at 70 mph after a 3 hour drive. I turned on the defroster full tilt and it quieted it some. Pulled over and found a leaf 3" long and curled up 3/4 inch
Old 11-30-2016, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gulleyrw
I have tried taping all the open spaces on the mirror as I thought that was it. Next I will try the windshield and door seal. More info to come as I also sent a video to my purchasing dealer.

Truck sticker says it rolled off the line 10/14/16. I'm 2 weeks in and 2K miles of headaches at this point.

Every time I think it's better it comes back unchanged.

Hope I don't have to relay on Black duct tape for the next 200k miles.
Use surgical tubing behind the door seal
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM

Surgical tubing tucked behind the upper rear corner of the door seal reduced my noise considerable. There is a crease from manufacture there and fitting the seal tighter helps a lot. Adjusting the door doesn't.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 AM

Default Windshield Whistle *Update* Issue resolved

2016 XL Sport 4X4 2.7L EB

So I decided it was time contact the dealer I purchased the truck from about this noise and accompanied a video clip of the "dog whistle" sound that was coming from the driver side front corner.

Depending on wind speed and direction it
usually would start at 40MPH and was constant at highway speeds.

Here is what they did to fix it. Dropped off was provided rental. Was contacted that day confirming they verified the noise and they would start on step 1.

Step 1 replace driver side weatherstrip as it was mis-shaped in a spot. Sound was better but tech could still here slightly.

Step 2 Sent truck to their body shop to work the aluminum in the jamb for a better seat.

Step 3 Tech still not satisfied and they noticed the top point of the fender was slightly offset out from the point of the hood. This was adjusted in 1/8" to be flush and narrow the gap.

Step 4 Replaced rubber seal on edge of the cowel behind where the fender meets the hood at the point. Also where step 3 happened.

Have driven only a few hundred miles since picking back up and not a whistle yet. Very happy they made the choice to do more when not to their standard instead of me finding out the first step was not enough.

Big shout out to Crystal and her crew at Terry's Ford in Peatone, IL

Top notch service!

Quick Reply: Wind whistle at high speed from windshield area