Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my key do this

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Why does my key do this

So I’m not sure why my key does this or what even to call it.... truck starts fine and key goes in and comes out like it should. When I turn the key to start it doesn’t return back like it should. Stays forward if that make sense.View My Video

Last edited by Dave__the_ss; 08-20-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave__the_ss
So I’m not sure why my key does this or what even to call it.... truck starts fine and key goes in and comes out like it should. When I turn the key to start it doesn’t return back like it should. Stays forward if that make sense.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cs...wVJopP8Li3sqfo
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. There's a spring inside that returns the key to IG1 when you let off. (On a side bar, did you know you don't have to hold the key in start until the truck starts? Simply touch the key to the start position, and release. The truck completes the start process just like the keyless start button on higher trims.)

​​​​​​​If you still have warranty, get that switch checked.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dalola
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. There's a spring inside that returns the key to IG1 when you let off. (On a side bar, did you know you don't have to hold the key in start until the truck starts? Simply touch the key to the start position, and release. The truck completes the start process just like the keyless start button on higher trims.)

If you still have warranty, get that switch checked.
​​​​​​​so can I just replace the spring or do I have to replace the whole ignition switch?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave__the_ss

so can I just replace the spring or do I have to replace the whole ignition switch?
The whole switch. Bolts on to your steering column, usually with special tamper proof bolts.

Quick Reply: Why does my key do this