Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to Lube Pano Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 02:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Where to Lube Pano Roof?

See attached video on a 2020 Pano Roof - the rubber seals all around the front glass are clean and have a light coating of Krytox lube. The issue comes when raising the "vent" mode. What else needs to be lubed? Also getting some stuttering towards the very end of opening / sliding back

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9081.MOV (10.69 MB, 57 views)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:17 PM

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I also like cleaning the body around the rubber seals. You'll get a lot of buildup there that needs to be cleaned off. Also, you should pop up the glass (tilt the rear) and clean the sides of the glass as well. Not just the front and back.

Just watched the video. That's a weird noise... I'd check for something loose around the sunroof motor. Almost sounds like rattling plastic.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, new f150 owner and was just looking through the forum and came across this post. I worked as a R&D engineer for a non-Ford sunroof supplier for 15 years. The noise I heard isn't from the seal to body, that noise is coming from the sunroof motor to cable connection. Two things could be causing this noise, one is that the cable just needs greased (thick multi propose grease, kind of like the ones that come in tubes that you put into grease guns). The second option is that the cable is damaged, and needs replaced. Again, we didn't do Ford so I'm not sure what cables they used, but the ones we used had a rubber/plastic coating on them and sometimes they would get damaged mainly in the winter when people would try and open them when the sunroof was frozen or covered with snow, etc. and the sunroof motor would spin, and the cable wouldn't move and damage the coating. So hopefully it just needs greased.
Just open the sunroof all the way, lube the cable if you can reach it, operate the sunroof (full open/tilt) dozen times and repeat until the noise if gone.
The following 4 users liked this post by ktw101:
Daveh370 (05-03-2024), Firsttexan (05-03-2024), JeffinBC (05-10-2024), Taggart (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:26 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,249 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ktw101
Hey, new f150 owner and was just looking through the forum and came across this post. I worked as a R&D engineer for a non-Ford sunroof supplier for 15 years. The noise I heard isn't from the seal to body, that noise is coming from the sunroof motor to cable connection. Two things could be causing this noise, one is that the cable just needs greased (thick multi propose grease, kind of like the ones that come in tubes that you put into grease guns). The second option is that the cable is damaged, and needs replaced. Again, we didn't do Ford so I'm not sure what cables they used, but the ones we used had a rubber/plastic coating on them and sometimes they would get damaged mainly in the winter when people would try and open them when the sunroof was frozen or covered with snow, etc. and the sunroof motor would spin, and the cable wouldn't move and damage the coating. So hopefully it just needs greased.
Just open the sunroof all the way, lube the cable if you can reach it, operate the sunroof (full open/tilt) dozen times and repeat until the noise if gone.
I think you win the award for best first post ever.
The following 4 users liked this post by Taggart:
Daveh370 (05-03-2024), Firsttexan (05-03-2024), FordGate (05-03-2024), vintageman (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:29 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,249 Likes on 836 Posts

I rub some Krytox on top of the foam seal that runs across the roof on top of the black plastic drip shield under where the front and back glass meet. It contacts the front glass and that's one less thing to stick and cause problems.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Taggart
I think you win the award for best first post ever.
haha dude I was thinking the same thing... thank you...

I didn't think it was seal to body issues either, something is messed up with the cable or motor... thanks - going to farm this one out to the extended warrantee I think. no clue how to get to the cable...
Old 05-10-2024, 12:29 PM

Is the cable visible with the sunroof open all the way? I can’t see anything at quick glance
The following users liked this post:
picaFord (05-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Where to Lube Pano Roof?