Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a RWD sports car better in the snow than a 4x4 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Default When is a RWD sports car better in the snow than a 4x4 truck?

In light of the snowstorm today up and down the east coast, I was debating this topic with a few co-workers today.

I love my 2015 XLT FX4 4x4 truck...
It has the stock Goodyear (crap) tires on it, and I have about 28k miles on them, so they aren't "new".

I also have a 2008 BMW 3-series (not a 'true' sports car, but you get the idea). However, for the past 6 years I always switch to my winter/snow tires/wheels... I run Bridgestone Blizzaks ... which are amazing, and arguably the best winter tire you can buy.
It is RWD, not the AWD, and has the sport package so it sits lower than the standard 3-series car... so if the snow is deeper than say, 6" or so, my front bumper turns into a snow plow haha.

So... other than the F150 offering 4x4.. which, in reality is only really good for getting un-stuck or getting moving; has zero effects with turning or stopping.

Is my RWD "sports" car with proper snow tires actually a better choice to drive in bad conditions than my truck?

I live in a smaller city; I don't travel rural roads, the roads are always "plowed" to some degree, a lot of city/highway driving even when it snows bad.

My truck is OK in the snow... the rear end definitely slides around a little... i have NOT added any weight. I didnt the last 2 winters, and Im not sure if I will this winter.

In my opinion, tires are hands down the biggest difference in winter traction/handling than any other factor... much, much more than having 4x4 or AWD in my opinion.

I personally think there is a misconception about a 'truck' being the best vehicle in the winter - unless the snow is deep, or it is REALLY bad out - a truck might not be the best vehicle.

Which would you drive?
Which is "safer" ?
What are your other thoughts and comments on this subject?

*update - go to post #112*

Last edited by ThunderStruck007; 01-08-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Example road condition:

Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Anything with real snow tires is better in snow than a 4x4 with all seasons, up until the snow is deeper than the undercarriage.
The following users liked this post:
meathooker (01-09-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Tires will make or break any car/truck in the snow. The BMW is certainly better equipped to deal with the winter conditions than the truck.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Funny you happened to mention BMW. I towed my neighbor's BMW X3 out from his own snowed-in driveway a couple weeks ago.

Ground clearance makes a significant difference when the white stuff piles up.

Originally Posted by funnyman06
Tires will make or break any car/truck in the snow. The BMW is certainly better equipped to deal with the winter conditions than the truck.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

if you're talking driving in 2WD then just about any car is better than a truck in 2WD. Better X2 if the truck has the useless Goodyear tires on it.

However I see that some new F150 models have an AWD setting? I wish mine did, would especially be good in conditions like you describe.

I have a slight grade leaving my house, my kid's Toyota Corolla and wife's Wrangler go up in 2WD no problem in a fresh snow, but more often than not I'll need to go in 4x4 with my F150. I'm sure proper winter tires like Blizzaks or Nokian would be better, or even better all seasons like Michelin, Bridgestone, Hancook etc.

With the Goodyear Wranglers I've had to use 4WD just to back away from a curb while angle parking when it's icy or slippery. My '99 F250 has Michelin all seasons on it and I've never had to switch to 4WD except in more extreme conditions. The F150 seems particularly bad in snow in 2WD, so I'm curious to see how it is with decent tires on it.

The Jeep Liberty my wife had before she got her wrangler had the 4H setting so it drove like AWD in slippery conditions, which was great. Her Wrangler doesn't have that option but it's still not bad in the snow in 2WD, it also has decent Bridgestone OEM tires on it.

My 2015 and the 2018 I just traded it for have the Goodyear Wranglers on it. The most useless tires I've ever seen in a snowfall. I've got less than 500 km's on them and I'm going to pop into a Kal Tire this weekend and see if they'll give me anything for a trade and put some Michelin all seasons on. Ideally I'd like to get some Nokian or Blizzak winter tires on their own rims, but that option is a little too pricey right now.

Last edited by Glenstr; 01-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Drove my old 14 RWD F150 through two winters with Blizzaks and no added weight to the rear other than the topper which is on year round. Not once did I wish it had 4WD. I did wish it had a boat anchor or huge parachute to help stop when the road suddenly iced over.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

I'd say a Truck on 2x4 VS a sport car... Sports car takes it. You're right, 4x4 is useless besides when you're stuck or need the 4 wheel traction to take off at lower speed. At high speeds, it can be dangerous. Truck has less weight in the back than the sport car, so the car would have more traction. However, depending on how many snow there is in front of you, the extra clearance the truck has can be an asset.

The 4A is very good, however. Too bad Ford didn't equip its lower level trims with it, like the other truck companies did... I'd leave mine on 4A all winter long if it had it. Had I known before, I would have paid the extra 10k$ for a Lariat.

Last edited by Eduskator; 01-04-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I used to have a sporty RWD car. It was a Hyundai Genesis coupe (310hp, manual trans, limited slip). In the winter I used proper snow tires (on some ford rims )and it really got by well. The way I see it, when you need to stop all vehicles have 4 wheel brakes so the big difference maker is the tires. The RWD car with snow tires could stop quicker than my 4x4 truck can. As a bonus you could slide it better around corners with the throttle.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

put some snow tires on the F-150... problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
tomasulo (01-06-2018)

Quick Reply: When is a RWD sports car better in the snow than a 4x4 truck?