Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do you say enough and trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default At what point do you say enough and trade in?

I have a 2017 f150 fx4 3.5 ecoboost crew cab. I bought the truck in sept 2017. Since I’ve had it the drivers seat quit (fixed under warranty), radio intermittently quits working black screen and no audio (possibly fixed, I’m unsure what the dealer did but it hasn’t done it in over a month) oil pan is leaking (suppose to be changed under warranty next oil change), IWE issues (been to the dealer SIX TIMES for this and still not fixed. I have another appointment mid next week. what could this be damaging while grinding? Possibly another repair due to grinding in the future?). And just today I got stuck in the grass and had to use 4wd high to get out. Once I got back to the pavement I clicked back into 2wd and it didn’t disengage. I stopped and had to mess with it for a few minutes to get it to disengage (back and forth with the switch and driving in reverse). Im at 35k so about to run out of b2b warranty and do not want to be paying for possible multiple dealer visits. I’m not on here to complain or downgrade Ford in any way. If I do trade it it will be for another f150 most likely or possibly a tundra (unlikely but would look at them). I’ve just never had this much trouble with a truck before, and I’m curious at what point y’all would just trade in on something else. Thank you for reading. Look forward to your advice.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

I would probably buy a 8 year/150k ESP and drive on. That would have to be cheaper than trading.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

How much time has it spent at the dealer for the IWE issues? Does it meet the requirements for lemon law? If you like the truck aside from the maintenance issues, as the other poster alluded to, an extended warranty might be something to consider.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I'd call Ford corporate and raise a stink... 6 times for the IWE issue should have been enough for a lemon/buyback.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badcon- first time for one day. Dealer said all is good and didn’t do anything denied the noise. Second time dealer kept for a few days didn’t do anything denied the noise. Third time different dealer they acknowledged the noise and they reprogrammed the tcm pcm and said it was fixed had it one day. 4th time had the truck for 5 days didn’t get it in the shop. They told me they would get it in the first day, and I should know something by the end of day 2. Wouldn’t give me a rental, and I HAD to have it back the next day for work. 5th time they kept it 3 days, and they told me they replaced the actuators, vacuum lines, and booster. 6th time they found something installed incorrectly and all is good kept for 2 days. I have an appointment for the 7th trip mid next week and there going to replace a valve.

I do like the truck, but I just don’t know how much I trust it. I’m scared it’s going to be one of those vehicles that always gives trouble.

Last edited by 05lariat4x4; 02-16-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds like a lemon to me...though your issues do appear to be isolated to the 4wd system. You are gonna get a bad deal on trade in, so think really hard about what its going to cost to get out of the truck if a lemon law buyback is not possible. I think this is the perfect scenario for an extended service plan, as you are very likely to get your money back out of it in the long run, and a good service plan will take care of all the issues you've been experiencing....so should lower your stress level.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:36 AM

Received 706 Likes on 548 Posts

3 strike rule always applies for me!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

I feel your pain. I traded my 2016 Lariat with an IWE issue for a 2108 Platinum. It had roughly 25K on it. My issue was no where near as bad as yours. I never thought about getting an ESP on it. An ESP is actually a really good idea as a dealer won't give you what your truck is worth no matter what they tell you. Your dollars ahead with an ESP.

The question becomes, just how much crap are you willing to deal with over the life of the truck? Maybe trip #7 will take care of it, but if it is already grinding then the valve ain't going to cut it. Damage is already done.

If money is not an issue, I would dump it and move on. And keep in mind that there is no guarantee that the next one will not eventually have the same problem.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Hell you have the patience of a saint! I traded in my Ram Rebel because the plastic fender flares kept fading and peeling off the truck. Hahahaha

Once I get a bad taste in my mouth, I treat my trucks like an ex, I don’t ever want to see them
again! 😆
Old 02-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a early build 18 lariat I traded in due to all kinds of noise and transmission issues. Finally had enough traded it in. Good excuse to upgrade. But the Warranty is cheap. You seem to be having relatively minor issues. If you have the mint flip it. If not warranty it and make them fix it. Good luck

Quick Reply: At what point do you say enough and trade in?