Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Concerns if Adding Airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Concerns if Adding Airbags?

Have any 2015 (or newer) owners had warranty issues when adding airbags (or other rear suspension adjustments)? I've decided to go with the Firestone airbags on my 2015 F150 due to it still sagging with my WDH. I am loaded properly, withing payload and still a bit too much sway. RV dealer said they have seen this a lot with the new F150's.

I spoke with the service manager who said it would void anything that is not Ford product or installed by Ford. I dont anticipate any problems, but if something were to go wrong with lets say, the rear axle I dont want that voided. Has any one had issues or experiences good or bad? My other option is wait another year and a half for the 3/36 to expire and deal with the extra wagging. Appreciate any replies.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

They can't void your warranty unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure in whatever oem part. Other option is, if you have a problem, take the airbags off prior to going into the dealership so they can't point to the airbags as the failure cause.
The following 2 users liked this post by bcb97:
Pete86 (04-13-2017), Ricktwuhk (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

thought about Sumo Springs instead of bags?

Also you will get more sway because the truck is 700lbs lighter
Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Have not looked into the Sumo springs. A couple people have told me ride will be forever rougher with adding a spring. Seeing I only tow once a month from April to October I didn't want to take that chance.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM
RSF

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

What w/d hitch are you using? You may need a different hitch or further adjustment on the one you have. If it's a good hitch set up properly you should only drop a couple inches in back with very little change up front and little to no sway.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by bcb97
They can't void your warranty unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure in whatever oem part. Other option is, if you have a problem, take the airbags off prior to going into the dealership so they can't point to the airbags as the failure cause.
That's not what the warranty book says. Simply put, any damage caused by alterations or modifications made to the vehicle after it has left the control of Ford and/or use of non-Ford parts may void the warranty. Ford does not have to prove your modification affected the vehicle, simply modifying it out of it's original specification gives Ford a reason to deny your warranty. Although Ford shouldn't deny a warranty claim for a bad alternator because of the air bags, they could. The burden of proof would be on the owner to prove that the air bags didn't cause the alternator to fail.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete86
Have any 2015 (or newer) owners had warranty issues when adding airbags (or other rear suspension adjustments)? I've decided to go with the Firestone airbags on my 2015 F150 due to it still sagging with my WDH. I am loaded properly, withing payload and still a bit too much sway. RV dealer said they have seen this a lot with the new F150's.

I spoke with the service manager who said it would void anything that is not Ford product or installed by Ford. I dont anticipate any problems, but if something were to go wrong with lets say, the rear axle I dont want that voided. Has any one had issues or experiences good or bad? My other option is wait another year and a half for the 3/36 to expire and deal with the extra wagging. Appreciate any replies.
I noticed the same thing with mine and I am still adjusting. If you add the bags could you post on here whether it helped with the sway?
The following users liked this post:
Pete86 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Extremely happy with my airbag & compressor setup! Unfortunately have only put it to the test a couple times so far but installed them with intentions of buying a travel trailer.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RSF
What w/d hitch are you using? You may need a different hitch or further adjustment on the one you have. If it's a good hitch set up properly you should only drop a couple inches in back with very little change up front and little to no sway.

I am using the Equalizer WDH, have been for over 10 years. Been very happy with it, and most other campers in my group use it. As someone else mentioned it might be because the new truck is lighter than the old one, but my '02 only squatted about 2" with no before I put the WDH on, the '15 drops about 3.5" before putting WDH.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Siskiyou
I noticed the same thing with mine and I am still adjusting. If you add the bags could you post on here whether it helped with the sway?
I definitely will. Probably will not get until early mid May at the earliest.