Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a car wash

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Using a car wash

Do any of you take your truck or any of your vehicles through the car wash? I can't remember that last time I did because I always do it myself. But, I finding myself needing to compromise somewhat as we go into the winter months. I generally stop with the washing any of vehicle I've owned in the past as it's just a waste of time. But, I thought, this year, I might use the car wash to keep the 'build up' down. My interest in this has to do with how well a F150 handles mechanized washings and if this process has improved any over the years. I thought if I do this a couple of times through the winter months, I won't have any hidden surprises waiting for me when I take over the duty and the build up in the tough areas won't be as bad.

So car washes, OK or Stay away?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had any issues with the car washes (brushless) in my area. I just make sure to fold the mirrors in first.
The following users liked this post:
Ur Lzn (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

MD, I pay for a monthly unlimited wash package at our the local touchless automatic carwash for both my F150 and my wife's explorer and it does a great job keeping them tidy. I have never had any issues with it. I would stay away from any automatics that use any type of brush though.
ranken (10-20-2021)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

I always take my antenna off and fold mirrors.
rbird2 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I use a car wash that has the spinning drums with rags and the dancing spaghetti rags from the ceiling and have for three years... no issues at all. I'ts not nearly as good as a hand wash myself, but it gets the job done and they do a great job hand drying it afterwards.

Like ahart88 said, make sure to fold the mirrors first. The only issue I have is this: I have power mirrors and power fold them in. When it rolls out of the wash, they get in and drive it up to the drying area and ALWAYS manually force the mirrors out because they don't know they're power mirrors.

I now keep a note in my console that I stick on the steering wheel whenever I drop it off out front before they get in that says something like: "Power mirrors please use the button located near the window controls on the driver side door. (I drew a little picture of the button layout with an arrow pointing to the mirror button)"
The following 2 users liked this post by lariat2015:
HOSSzBOSS (10-24-2018), Jeronimo21 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I never take my vehicles to any car wash other than a manual wash with wands, which I do rarely. If I can't wash it with a bucket, it doesn't get washed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
ManMountainDean (10-19-2020), Sherlock (10-25-2018), SteelHouse (10-20-2020)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I use a touchless wash during the winter as well. However, it definitely doesn't do as good of a job as hand washing. You almost need to use a spray detailer or quick wax after........but when it is minus 20 that gets kind of tough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryan_2020:
Jeronimo21 (10-26-2018), Ur Lzn (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased a monthly membership at our newest car wash. It uses a combination of spinning "things" and sprays. No stiff brushes. No problems. Used it on my former Jeep and wife's Patriot, also no problem. I think it is more important to wash vehicles in the winter months (if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads) to keep corrosive salts from building up. I didn't use to do this, but have learned my lesson.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I never take my vehicles to any car wash other than a manual wash with wands, which I do rarely. If I can't wash it with a bucket, it doesn't get washed.
You have the same attitude I have about this and I always did as you say you do. But, as I'm an old fart now, I need to compromise, I got better things to do [and so little time] than to spend hours cleaning my truck now a days although I will continue to do it myself during the 'dry' months. Just need to keep up with the dirt build up in the winter months.

I appreciate the quick response and ideas in this thread and I will definitely take you words under advisement. This kind of thing is why I am asking because I don't have a lot of confidence in the car washes not to damage something during the process. Mirrors and antenna, check. However, I have a stubby antenna, same approach?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

I'll use the touchless ones in the winter just to get the salt nasties off. It's always a given that we get a few abnormally warm days throughout the winter months, at which time I'll hand wash. I refuse to use the touch car washes as I had bad luck with them in previous vehicles whenever I did use them. While I have no proof to back this up, I'm sure that those mechanical wash pads are loaded with grit / dirt.
SteelHouse (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Using a car wash