Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique VIN mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Unique VIN mistake

Well I picked up my 2016 F150 Monday night.
And I learned there was an issue with the vin. In the dash vin the first digit is missing (which is a 1) it appears that the vin tag was cut to short and is missing the 1 at the front. What I can't figure out how that left KC claycomo plant and how did the Oklahoma dealership where it was shipped didn't catch it.
Now they are checking what ford wants or going to do.. I do know that to replace the vin tag the windshield would have to be remove and the tag replaced when and after receive the replacement and replace the windshield with a new one.
I love the truck but if this has to be done and it does cause the vin is wrong one of two things I feel should happen at minimum I should at least give me a ford extended warranty. And if not I think they should take the truck back..
Since it shouldn't have left the plant.
I would love to hear from the ford reps on here to hear their thoughts..
This isn't my fault. And I feel they should take care of it by replacing the truck or by giving me the extended warranty.

Personally it wouldn't bother me to replace windshield if I get the extended warranty
Attached Thumbnails Unique VIN mistake-image.jpeg  

Last edited by jjkjr; 06-26-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Vin replacement is very complicated, due to federal law.

No clue how they can fix this easily.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Retired Car Guy

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

That's interesting. Was the bill of sale and memorandum of title correct? How about the stickers elsewhere on the vehicle? If so, I would think the dealer should be able to replace the vin plate on the car. I imagine they could be damaged and need replacement in other cases - like accidents - as long as the documentation is correct.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerswt
That's interesting. Was the bill of sale and memorandum of title correct? How about the stickers elsewhere on the vehicle? If so, I would think the dealer should be able to replace the vin plate on the car. I imagine they could be damaged and need replacement in other cases - like accidents - as long as the documentation is correct.
The vin on the title, door sticker and all other places are correct. The vin tag on the dash was cut short on left side.
I also was told the vin replacement would have to come from state but I am doubting that.
The problem in future if not fixed is unable to sell due to altered or wrong vin
Old 06-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Retired Car Guy

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkjr
The vin on the title, door sticker and all other places are correct. The vin tag on the dash was cut short on left side.
I also was told the vin replacement would have to come from state but I am doubting that.
The problem in future if not fixed is unable to sell due to altered or wrong vin
Please post how this gets resolved. Hopefully, its an easy fix. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jjkjr (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

You're right, I can see issues in the future. Like trade-in, selling it off, getting into an accident or having a cop issue you a ticket (if the state's info doesn't match the vehicle). I would ask the dealer why they didn't catch it before handing over the keys. And did you check the VIN when you signed off on the truck? That would have been the time to tell them this isn't the vehicle on the paperwork.

I'm also interested on how this comes out.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

I can't believe they can't get someone to create a new tag so you don't have to go through getting a new vin.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you managed to take a picture you wish to share ?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,058 Likes on 492 Posts

This is one of the very few situations where you would be justified in pushing for a new truck from Ford. The VIN issue will follow the truck for the rest of its life.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

A vehicle can be re-VIN'd by the state DMV. I've seen vehicles known as "tag-jobs" (a stolen vehicle whose VIN was replaced with a VIN from a non-stolen vehicle) be returned to the owner or insurance company, and issued a new "serial number" from that state. In NY, the new number was affixed to the drivers side door jam (B pillar). The stolen/incorrect VIN plate was removed from the dashboard. The newly issued title would reflect the change. Different states may handle this situation differently.

Quick Reply: Unique VIN mistake