Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Plug Losing Connection

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Trailer Plug Losing Connection

I have a 2016 F150 and the 7 pin trailer connector is a little loose and keeps losing connection. I am thinking about wrapping a some electrical tape around it to tighten it up a little. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what was your solution.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

I occasionally got false trailer disconnects on my 2015. It turned out to be caused by the connector that attaches the bumper portion of the 7-pin to the truck harness. After exercising and reseating it I haven't had the problem. When reconnecting be sure to push against the outside of the 7-pin. Mine wiggled enough it was hard to get the backside connector seated tightly.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I'd used my trailer on a Thursday, and showed it to the guy who ended up buying it on Saturday. When I connected the harness on Saturday, the truck didn't recognize it. I tried both the 7 pin and 4 pin, but neither worked. I took the trailer and decided to figure out why later. Long story short, the connector under the truck that plugs into the receptacle was completely disconnected. I plugged it in and I've pulled a trailer at least a dozen times since and no problems.

Search this Thread