Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer pigtail included on 2017 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer pigtail included on 2017 F150?

I just purchased a new 2017 f150 with the towing package and since both the Bronco and Expedition I owned previously came with the pigtail connection that goes from the truck to the boat wiring I assumed it would be included on this truck. I asked the salesman as I didn't find the pigtail in the truck as I had with my previous fords and got the impression from the salesman that this was not included in the tow package. Can someone verify for me if that is a fact or is the salesman pulling my chain?

Thanks
Old 12-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The truck should have come with both a 7 pin and 4 pin plug by the rear license plate with the tow package. There are a set of covers on the plugs which hinge out of the way.

Verify you got the tow package by looking at your window sticker. I have never seen a vehicle which comes with the wiring that runs from the truck plugs to the trailer. That should be built into the trailer itself.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My old truck came with a harness to wire a brake controller and a relay to install. Is that what you are thinking about?
Old 12-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter150zx
I just purchased a new 2017 f150 with the towing package and since both the Bronco and Expedition I owned previously came with the pigtail connection that goes from the truck to the boat wiring I assumed it would be included on this truck. I asked the salesman as I didn't find the pigtail in the truck as I had with my previous fords and got the impression from the salesman that this was not included in the tow package. Can someone verify for me if that is a fact or is the salesman pulling my chain?

Thanks
I'm not sure what you are talking about when you refer to the "pigtail", but if you are talking about the connector for the factory trailer brake controller, it's there. Most car/truck salesmen don't know sh*t from apple butter.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No pigtails included with the new trucks. My 2018 Screw Platinum with the tow package did not have anything to plug into the sockets in the bumper. My 2005 Screw Lariat only had a 7-pin-to-4-pin adapter.

You're on your own for connecting a trailer. IMO, that's as it should be, as it eliminates a cost for something most owners will never use that we all would otherwise have to pay if included with every truck.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't seen the pigtail you are referring to provided in years. Since trailer wiring now is standard why would you need it. If the trailer wiring is incomplete just buy the appropriate plug(4-pin, 7-pin) and wire it in. Truck side you have the receptacles next to the license plate as mentioned. If you don't have the factory trailer brake, the plug to plug in an aftermarket one are already under the dash as it is.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

2nd small bungee cord, on my 2014 I use every time and its not coming out.

Quick Reply: Trailer pigtail included on 2017 F150?