Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint to match 2019 Factory Tint - (Skin Cancer) Moving to Florida from CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Perro del Demonio

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tint to match 2019 Factory Tint - (Skin Cancer) Moving to Florida from CA

I have a 2019 F-150 that has tinted windows in the rear windows and back. I am looking to have it done up front as well, and maybe the windshield as well. I'm in California and will be moving to Florida. I had my son's 2019 F-150 front windows done at the dealer for $100. Not sure what they put in, but it looks good. Had it done in Texas.

A local guy says he'll put in 3m Ceramic 20% in the front for $125 in California where I live now. Didn't think to ask about the front Windshield.What percentage can/should I have in the front windshield? I have skin cancer so I really need to have the UV protection.

Is the 3m Ceramic good stuff? Will it do anything for UV?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

15 or 20 on the front will match the back. Too dark to be legal but not that bad. Anything on the whole windshield is also illegal. Wouldn’t go darker than 50%
The following users liked this post:
Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put CXP high heat rejection on my truck it blocks 99% uv rays its equivalent to 20% you are looking at but blocks more heat, than the previous ones i've used in the past. Its a bit more expensive i paid 217$ for both front windows in northern california bay area.
Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

There is 3M Crystalline, then there is everything else. You get what you pay for. And you need to select a certified Crystalline shop - there's a locator on their website. I went with their higher-certified shop (Premiere certification maybe?) and was definitely happy with the results.

In most/every state, tinting the windshield is illegal - unless you get a prescription from a doctor. That said, CR70 will block the UV, won't be too dark at night and, unless someone really knows what to look for or uses a tester, no one will know the difference.

I've got CR40 over the factory solar tint in the side windows, and I'm happy with the amount of heat/light rejection balanced with night-time visibility.
Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by Gigel
I put CXP high heat rejection on my truck it blocks 99% uv rays its equivalent to 20% you are looking at but blocks more heat, than the previous ones i've used in the past. Its a bit more expensive i paid 217$ for both front windows in northern california bay area.
I haven't heard of CXP yet. I mostly hear about 3m Ceramic and Llumar. Not sure how they stack up against CXP.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by tvsjr
There is 3M Crystalline, then there is everything else. You get what you pay for. And you need to select a certified Crystalline shop - there's a locator on their website. I went with their higher-certified shop (Premiere certification maybe?) and was definitely happy with the results.

In most/every state, tinting the windshield is illegal - unless you get a prescription from a doctor. That said, CR70 will block the UV, won't be too dark at night and, unless someone really knows what to look for or uses a tester, no one will know the difference.

I've got CR40 over the factory solar tint in the side windows, and I'm happy with the amount of heat/light rejection balanced with night-time visibility.
I've never heard of the "Crystalline" option. Only Ceramic. Not sure how they compare. I found a local dealer for it. His reviews seem to indicate he's a good guy too. Either that or he has a lot of relatives.

After looking at the specifications on their website, CR40 looks like it'd be right for me too. I will call the installer and see what he thinks. I also just heard from one installer that he has customers that have notes from their doctors requesting darker windows. I go see a dermatologist in a week. Maybe I should ask her for an RX? Not sure if she'd even heard of such a thing. But I wouldn't want the windows so dark I couldn't see out at night anyway.

Did you have anything put on the windshield? Did you stay with CR40 on the front Side Windows too?

Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate it!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Perro del Demonio

Holy Moly! the 3m Crystalline guy wants almost $700 to do all the windows, not counting the windshield. That's another $300. Does that seem right?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 399 Likes on 269 Posts

Did 20% ceramic on my fronts, they match the rear pretty good. Got a good friend that has been tinting all his adult life (mid forties now) and he cut me a great deal. None on my windshield (legalities) but I have heard the ceramic 80 is almost clear but rejects uv very well.

My 18 with 20%

My previous 16 with 20% ceramic.

Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Borracho
I have a 2019 F-150 that has tinted windows in the rear windows and back. I am looking to have it done up front as well, and maybe the windshield as well. I'm in California and will be moving to Florida. I had my son's 2019 F-150 front windows done at the dealer for $100. Not sure what they put in, but it looks good. Had it done in Texas.

A local guy says he'll put in 3m Ceramic 20% in the front for $125 in California where I live now. Didn't think to ask about the front Windshield.What percentage can/should I have in the front windshield? I have skin cancer so I really need to have the UV protection.

Is the 3m Ceramic good stuff? Will it do anything for UV?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Anything more that 30 percent is breaking the law in Florida
The following 2 users liked this post by kendive:
blkZ28spt (06-24-2019), Borracho (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Perro del Demonio

Originally Posted by BadAltitude
I paid about $249 for the fronts using Crystalline. I wasn’t looking for privacy so I went with 90 which does not noticeably darken windows. Like all the Crystalline series 90 cuts 99% UV, and cuts substantial infrared. See https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...s-brochure.pdf

Before spending a lot of money take a good look at the protection provided in the OEM glass. Generally, the sound screen glass which has the plastic sandwich construction cuts a lot of UV, about 92 to 96% UV reduction. You might find you don’t need more UV protection.

This is a good article on the topic https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle12495123/
Thanks for the information. I Was looking into the Crystalline all the way around. They want $700, not including windshield. They want $300 for that. But I have to have something... Not sure what I should do at this point.

Quick Reply: Tint to match 2019 Factory Tint - (Skin Cancer) Moving to Florida from CA