Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on what to do with my new truck (engine being replaced)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Thoughts on what to do with my new truck (engine being replaced)...

I’ve been a Ford guy my entire life and owned many Ford products and never thought I’d be posting this. Long story short bought a brand new 2018 Lariat 5.0 last day of June. Truckwas flawless for the first 7,000 miles. Then all of a sudden it started doing odd things. Received a couple low engine oil lights and truck went into limp road on a busy highway and had to pull over immediately. Check oil and dipstick showed full every time. Waited five minutes and started the truck and everything appeared normal, light went away and it ran fine like it never happened. After about three weeks of normal operation the truck started ticking, shifting funny and other things. Went in for an appointment and they started it up in the service bay to see if the ticking was still happening and the truck begin to KNOCK very loud on the spot.

So they’ve had the truck now 42-days and are still awaiting parts to replace the engine. What are my options? My wife has zero confidence in it after having to pull over on a busy highway several times.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

you could try to do the buyback process / lemon law depending on the parameters in your state.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Got-F150?
I’ve been a Ford guy my entire life and owned many Ford products and never thought I’d be posting this. Long story short bought a brand new 2018 Lariat 5.0 last day of June. Truckwas flawless for the first 7,000 miles. Then all of a sudden it started doing odd things. Received a couple low engine oil lights and truck went into limp road on a busy highway and had to pull over immediately. Check oil and dipstick showed full every time. Waited five minutes and started the truck and everything appeared normal, light went away and it ran fine like it never happened. After about three weeks of normal operation the truck started ticking, shifting funny and other things. Went in for an appointment and they started it up in the service bay to see if the ticking was still happening and the truck begin to KNOCK very loud on the spot.

So they’ve had the truck now 42-days and are still awaiting parts to replace the engine. What are my options? My wife has zero confidence in it after having to pull over on a busy highway several times.

Thanks
Buyback. Time to move on. Ford's aren't what they used to be for sure. I too thought I'd be driving them forever. After my current experience I'll never buy one again.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lawndart
Buyback. Time to move on. Ford's aren't what they used to be for sure. I too thought I'd be driving them forever. After my current experience I'll never buy one again.
it happened in the 80s and early 90s with ford. it will pass again

not every vehicle is perfect. this is why we have warranties and buyback options
Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I bought mine on the last day of June too.
I'm sure it'll be fine after you get a new engine. I'd be more concerned that it's taking so long, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to get a new motor.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tom231
I bought mine on the last day of June too.
I'm sure it'll be fine after you get a new engine, I'd be more concerned that it's taking so long, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to get a new motor.
parts are probably backordered. And i highly doubt he is getting a "new" motor. probably only a short block if the failure was in the bottom end.. MAYBE a long block if he's lucky
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Ford produces approx. 1,000,000 F150's per year. With any kind of production, there will be a small percentage of quality "escapes".

I feel bad for owners who have an affected vehicle, but like the other poster said, that's what warranties and buyback programs are for.

If you go to any other vehicle forum you'll also read about their own problems.

IMHO the biggest issue is the 42 day delay. That's inexcusable and I'd pursue a buyback.
The following 2 users liked this post by davefr:
N4HHE (02-25-2019), ThanksInAdvance (02-26-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

After 42 days I'd ask for a buyback.

Call dealer, ask if parts are there, if not you will pursue a buy back and ask them to assist. Call ford corporate and open up a case number. Be nice and tell them this is the wish of your wife etc.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

All brands are the same now. You could get a gm with issues and sure a ram too. If like the truck overall maybe see if can
get a replacement 150. But would not want that truck for sure. Even after work. One thing about GM still old school
overhead value motors. Not overhead cams. I had a lincoln that needed a motor tear down because of a knocking. It
came back in worst shape, knock gone but all kinds of electrical issues afterwards and motor just ran different.
Traded on something else.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Tom
After 42 days I'd ask for a buyback.

Call dealer, ask if parts are there, if not you will pursue a buy back and ask them to assist. Call ford corporate and open up a case number. Be nice and tell them this is the wish of your wife etc.
Best advice is above. Get started with the lemon law buyback. Let Ford deal with that problem as you enjoy another new truck.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on what to do with my new truck (engine being replaced)...