Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate step and tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tailgate step and tonneau cover

So the F150 I'm purchasing has the uneven tailgate step on the pole side. Off course the dealer says it is unadjustable. Two questions will I have an issue when I add the tonneau cover. Will it not allow the cover to create a seal.

My forum search has shown that it is possible to make the tailgate step flush with a rubber mallet and some man power. Is this a permanent fix?

Can you guys recommend any good tonneau covers that can be locked, but allow the tailgate release to be used. Think the most common one I've seen is the Revolver, any retractable covers where I can use the tailgate release.

Thanks ahead for your thoughts.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

My cover has a foam seal that seems to take up any slack. I'm sure if your cover of choice doesn't have one you can purchase it from local hardware store. I had to purchase a seal for the bed/rear window side. Having bed rail covers makes it uneven
Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Or, the top of the tailgate step is not flush with the tailgate at the handle side? The step handle is pushing the step that makes it uneven. Mine was worse because it popped up around half of an inch while driving over bumps. The dealer replaced the step assembly after 2 trips. Then, got the Revolver X2 to make sure everything is in place.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4*
Or, the top of the tailgate step is not flush with the tailgate at the handle side? The step handle is pushing the step that makes it uneven. Mine was worse because it popped up around half of an inch while driving over bumps. The dealer replaced the step assembly after 2 trips. Then, got the Revolver X2 to make sure everything is in place.
Can they replace the step assembly even with the spray in bed liner? Does it sit flush now, most of the ones I see dont sit flush, but I have seen some that are perfect.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

My truck has spray in bedliner and no problem. They fitted the new step perfectly, means it seats flush to the tailgate top.

Quick Reply: Tailgate step and tonneau cover