Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync3 software update not working - scanning takes forever

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Sync3 software update not working - scanning takes forever

Hi!

This is one of the cases where I actually rely more on the collective experience rather than Ford or dealer support. No offense, but when it comes to software and technology the support quality is not that great.

I am trying to try the OTA software upgrade for my Sync3 (F-150 2017). Took me a while to get WiFi to work, had to finally park the car with the cabin close to the house to get better signal Still no luck. Regardless of the method I try (my iphone connected with bluetooth, with cable or just wifi connection with the phone in airline mode) I get the same result - "scanning for updates..." displayed forever. Well, at least for about 15 minutes. Tried to stop/lock and then restart the vehicle, same result.

It looks like some kind of lock or bad connectivity settings stuck somewhere in Sync3 configuration. So far I am leaning towards master reset, although I hate the idea of losing all my settings. I wanted to hear if anyone else experienced the same issue, performed the master reset and the issue has been resolved

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ColdDog (04-10-2023)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

There are no updates OTA for the sync operating system. Don't waste any more of your time for now.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jm061
There are no updates OTA for the sync operating system. Don't waste any more of your time for now.
I did not really expect any updates but I expected the update process working And it does not So I will waste some of my time to get to the point when it tells me there is no update
ColdDog (04-10-2023)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ngrigoriev
It looks like some kind of lock or bad connectivity settings stuck somewhere in Sync3 configuration. So far I am leaning towards master reset, although I hate the idea of losing all my settings. I wanted to hear if anyone else experienced the same issue, performed the master reset and the issue has been resolved

Thanks!
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem with my 16-F150 sync 3 v2.0 non navigation. It just sits stuck in scanning for updates. I've had it scanning for updates for over an hour.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeDee
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem with my 16-F150 sync 3 v2.0 non navigation. It just sits stuck in scanning for updates. I've had it scanning for updates for over an hour.
If you are connected to WiFi with a good signal it should find an update for you. If not it will keep searching for one. The best way and fastest way is to go to owner.ford.com register and put your Vin in. It has a selection along the top for Sync. Select it and select update Software. Have a 32G USB drive handy. Download it to your laptop. Follow instructions about putting it on USB drive. Put it in the USB port start the truck and sit back for 30or so minutes. Or take a 30 minute drive and let it do its' thing. When it is done put it back on WiFi and try again.

It worked for me Version 2.3 is out now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mlarv:
CeeDee (11-19-2017), edselg (01-13-2018), Sod (01-27-2019)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

If you can, set your phone up as a wifi hotspot. Connect wifi to your phone. So much faster.

Haven't had a failed connection since doing this. Takes at most two minutes.
CeeDee (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 PM

If you can, set your phone up as a wifi hotspot. Connect wifi to your phone.
I thought about doing that today. I just couldn't get around why it would work with my pjhone as a Wifi Hotspot vs my powerful ASUS wireless home router. And the router was just about 10ft away from the truck. Just on the other side of the house wall. I guess I should try it first before doing the downloaded update.

I'm already reading up on the downloadable update from the owner.ford.com website.

Or, you think I should try a master reset on it first?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:49 PM

It really is faster with USB. I tried to update from Ver 2.0 WiFi and it never did. I went to Ver 2.2 and tried WiFi to go to 2.3 and it started to work but still took forever. I think V2.0 is the problem.
CeeDee (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Do you guys also use that FordPass/Ford Connect thing connected to your Sync3? Any thoughts on it? I just downloaded the app. I haven't logged into it or linked anything yet. The ford owner website doesn't say anything about the service (ford pass/ford connect) costing money. It doesn't have a lot of good reviews on the google play store.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 PM

With 2016 Ford Connect does not work as far as I know. The Ford Pass app is pretty sad. I use it to get a health report on the truck only. That is about it. If you have an Android phone Android Auto is a great add on. If you have an iPhone you most likely need a new USB hub to get Car Play to work. I have used both and like both of them for different reasons.

Quick Reply: Sync3 software update not working - scanning takes forever